Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WKU - FBS or FCS???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    First Class FCS Advocate

WKU - FBS or FCS???

I posed this question when Western Kentucky originally made the move to FBS, then again last year...and I'll ask one more time. Are WKU football fans basking in the glory of FBS ball? Why do I ask this? First, the original two times I posed this question, I got an overwhelming majority of "yes" we like the move up. Now, after making a dominant run and extremely positive impact at the FCS level, WKU has reeled off 24 straight losses and is ranked as the 2nd worst team in FBS nationally, behind Eastern Michigan. I'll ask one more time, WKU fans...are you still enjoying the FBS experience or if you could do it all over again, where would you like to be? You were a force to be reckoned with, and a very solid FCS contender with the excitement of the playoffs being within reach almost every season. Now what do you look forward to?

AGS FCS Champion

My Team
    YSU Penguins

Re: WKU - FBS or FCS???

I hated to see them go to 1FBS due to the fact I live close to Bowling Green and YSU played there every other year. Now that they moved onto the "big times" and take an in a crappy conference I wonder how good 1 FCS really is Bosie did OK but they are out where recruiting is easier.

Although I don't see great things for any Kentucky football school, I will say it is a little early to ask. Boise did not beat OK the first year they moved up. WKU did a lot of things right from what I remember but it the best laid plans sometime succumb to things outside your control. I would say that after ten years a team will have a better idea if it made a good decision and that criteria is up to their fan base alone.
    National Champions
    1985 1986 1989 1990 1999 2000

http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/7538/gsbaruj2.png

My Team
    Eastern Kentucky

Quote Originally Posted by JDC325 View Post
    Although I don't see great things for any Kentucky football school, I will say it is a little early to ask. Boise did not beat OK the first year they moved up. WKU did a lot of things right from what I remember but it the best laid plans sometime succumb to things outside your control. I would say that after ten years a team will have a better idea if it made a good decision and that criteria is up to their fan base alone.
    Ouch, tells us how you really feel! KY is a basketball state anyway.

WKU was pretty average their last couple seasons in the MVFC, and that trend continued into their transition. I think more than anything else, the major problem was Coach Elston's tenure that put WKU in the hole they are in now. I don't buy the argument that Sun Belt teams are dramtically deeper and faster than MVFC teams, and that's why WKU is so putrid. I think had the toppers still been in the MVFC last season, they would have been in the bottom third of the conference, and maybe slightly higher this year.

I will give this point of credit to WKU in that they are now starting to compete (a little) with some of the lower BCS teams with respectable loss margins to Indiana and South Florida. That may not mean much right now, but come Sun Belt play, that may translate into 2 or 3 conference wins.

Give WKU time. They have an awesome new stadium, a great and seemingly patient fanbase, and may start to figure this whole FBS thing out soon. I still contend that had they finished MVFC play with the same fervor they had earlier in the 2000s decade, that they would have had a much smoother transition.

My Team
    Eastern Kentucky

They should have tried to join the MAC?

"Well at least the road trips are nice." Whatever...

That stinking cess pool got exactly what they deserved, bunch of low class unibrow, unitooth inbreds.

They had one good year where they got lucky and then got too big for their britches... better stick to basketball thar' boys, that football thing ain't working so good.

That WKU bunch ain't nothin more than a bug in a bikers tooth in FBS, squashed and quickly forgotten. What a joke...

Major FCS Ruler

0-4 WKU fans are probably psyched that their done with their OOC schedule and can start playing the "former" second tier 1AA schools in their conference again. The Sunbelch is 3-18 against OOC opponents this year and have a few more OOC slaughters to go. Not one team is currently above .500 in that putrid conference. The Sunbelch should be forced to move back down to 1AA where they belong.

Quote Originally Posted by aust42 View Post
    0-4 WKU fans are probably psyched that their done with their OOC schedule and can start playing the "former" second tier 1AA schools in their conference again. The Sunbelch is 3-18 against OOC opponents this year and have a few more OOC slaughters to go. Not one team is currently above .500 in that putrid conference. The Sunbelch should be forced to move back down to 1AA where they belong.
    If I am not mistaken most Sun Belt teams were consistent good playoff FCS teams and a few have NC's, far from second tier. I think the poor manner in which most moved up has held them back more than anything. Some have not posted great results but many are building facilities and growing in ways not possible in the FCS despite on field results. I don't think their is hope for some but others I can see improving greatly same in any conference, the Sun Belt just happens to be the youngest conference (2001) with the youngest FBS teams. I know FAU is building an impressive stadium which would never would have happened in the FCS. Regardless of how Sun Belt or any former FCS teams fair I will never understand the hate, envy, contempt and or jealousy of programs that basically are just trying to reach their highest potential. I think many should not have jumped but you do not grow by maintaining the status quo. I for one wish any team that takes such a huge risk nothing but luck and success.
    National Champions
    1985 1986 1989 1990 1999 2000

http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/7538/gsbaruj2.png

Master FCS Advocate Appfan_in_CAAland's Avatar

While they don't draw great attendance by FBS standards, even in the midst of losing more than 20 straight games, they still have topped 10,000 all but one home game. That's better than I think most FCS schools would do being such big a doormat. Plus they hosted Indiana last weekend. They may be the Big 10 bottom feeder, but it beats hosting Indiana State. Its not all bad.