Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MAC Expansion - FCS Teams? FBS?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

MAC Expansion - FCS Teams? FBS?

Since I do not necessarily see any Sun Belt teams wanting to go the the MAC for any reason - which FCS teams are reasonably in the mix for a MAC invitation?

Eastern Michigan University athletic director Derrick Gragg wouldn’t be surprised if the Mid-American Conference issues invitations to one or two institutions to join the MAC in the near future.

“I think the MAC is going to try to extend invitations to one or two institutions in the next year or two,” he said.

Talking to the EMU Board of Regents Athletic Affairs Committee this afternoon, Gragg said current MAC members will be attending a retreat Oct. 11 to 13 to discuss various issues, including the shifting national collegiate sports landscape and what moves the MAC needs to make.
    http://www.annarbor.com/news/emu-ad-...n-near-future/
    -The Terror-

Re: MAC Expansion - FCS Teams? FBS?

Mentioned amongst MAC's fan base...

Delaware
    UMass
    Stony Brook
    James Madison
    Richmond
    Illinois State
    Stony Brook
    Northern Iowa
    -The Terror-

Quote Originally Posted by TexasTerror View Post
    Mentioned amongst MAC's fan base...

Delaware
    UMass
    Stony Brook
    James Madison
    Richmond
    Illinois State
    Stony Brook
    Northern Iowa
    None of which really makes any sense except maybe Stony Brook.

Why would any of the CAA teams move their all-sports to a weaker conference? Same goes for Iliinois State or UNI moving their basketball programs out of the Valley.

Buffalo might want SBU but I'm not so sure SBU would want the MAC.

AGS FCS Champion

My Team
    YSU Penguins

YSU back in 1994 tried to go to the MAC and the members shot us down?? Would be the best geographical fit for us besides the OVC in 1FCS.

My Team
    Northern Iowa

No way we would ever go to the MAC. Basketball is the obvious reason, but I don't think we even want our football there.

AGS FCS Champion Lehigh Football Nation's Avatar

Come on, guys, the answer to this is obvious. North Dakota State and South Dakota State.

For real, though, here's the real takeaway from this article:

In addition he said he wouldn’t be surprised to see Temple University, which is on a two-year, football-only deal to leave for another conference at the end of its agreement.
    The only other conference that it could be moving to in football that would make any sense would be the Big East.
    Follow me on Twitter (User Name LFN)

The
    Time
    Is
    Now

Quote Originally Posted by danefan View Post
    None of which really makes any sense except maybe Stony Brook.

Why would any of the CAA teams move their all-sports to a weaker conference? Same goes for Iliinois State or UNI moving their basketball programs out of the Valley.

Buffalo might want SBU but I'm not so sure SBU would want the MAC.
    Interesting...It would be an intriguing move for SBU. Though SBU has stated openly that basketball is to be their "major focus" sport. Is the MAC a stronger basketball conference than the America East? How are they in other sports?
    "Faintly as tolls the evening chime, Our voices keep tune and our oars keep time." -Thomas Moore

Quote Originally Posted by Redwyn View Post
    Interesting...It would be an intriguing move for SBU. Though SBU has stated openly that basketball is to be their "major focus" sport. Is the MAC a stronger basketball conference than the America East? How are they in other sports?
    The East division of the MAC is pretty good in basketball. Kent State, Akron and Ohio are all top 100 RPI teams.
    The league as a whole has been a better bball league then the AEast also. Last year they were 16th I think as compared to the AEast in the 20s.

Quote Originally Posted by Redwyn View Post
    I think we sit tight if the MAC came calling. Too much money to lay out for little return.buy out of the new Big South contract, upgrade football by at least 20 scholarships,expand facilities, etc etc. The MAC isnt the Big Ten with jumbo TV exposure, brand name teams coming to SBU for games. No stay in the Big South, AE and see what plays out down the road in 5-7 years. And where does our ranked lacrosse program go? It would be nice to be considered but no thanks.

Yeah I know some JMU fans would jump at anyone looking at us to move up but I hate the idea. The MAC would not be a good move. I think the reason we have such a great fan base is we have all the VA teams to play in and out of conference. Basketball we can bus to W&M, ODU, VCU, GMU with out of conference all local too: VMI, Liberty, Longwood, UR, UVA, VT, Norfolk St., Radford. (must be missing someone) Our fans love being so close to our team no matter where they are because they don't have to go too far!

We have a good football fan base so why would we start to mess it up with trips to Buffalo, Eastern Michigan and Kent State? I'm sorry, our fan base is VA to Mass along the coast. We would become the new Western Kentucky of FBS. Doesn't sound appealing...Dreams of the CAA would dance in our heads...
    James Madison University (9-4) vs. All 2019 challengers!