Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UMass spring drills

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    FCS Expert

UMass spring drills

Coach Brown on UMass's spring

UMass has had an interesting spring... had a few injurys and illness's but for the most part the drills were used to built some good chemistry. We seem pretty set at every possition and our only question mark seems to be who will start at QB. Prob wont be answered till a week or two before our first game and be all about who puts in the most work this summer. Its going to be a great year in Minuteman land. The rest of the A10 needs to look out. We should start the season 5-0 if we play our style and have no disapointments but then have this killer strech:

10/15 James Madison
    10/22 @ Maine
    10/29 New Hampshire
    11/05 @Delaware.
    11/12 @Army
    We need to win 2 of these games and not have any major setbacks to reach the playoffs this season!

AGS FCS Champion
    Excellent outlook for the Minutemen. That write-up, however, borders on the illiterate. An embarrassment for UMass and a failing grade in English 101. Hope it wasn't written by Coach Brown, but even if it's quotes, it makes him look bad. Someone in your SID office needs to find another job.

First Class FCS Ruler Maroon&White's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribe4SF
    Excellent outlook for the Minutemen. That write-up, however, borders on the illiterate. An embarrassment for UMass and a failing grade in English 101. Hope it wasn't written by Coach Brown, but even if it's quotes, it makes him look bad. Someone in your SID office needs to find another job.

I was thinking the same thing about the English. I almost had to stop reading the article because of it.

oops again.

Quote Originally Posted by umassfan
    We seem pretty set at every possition and our only question mark seems to be who will start at QB.
    I thought Evan Kraky was your QB of the future? :confused:

sorry, couldn't help myself!!!!!!!!!

The article seems to be a transcription of a verbal statement. Everybody sounds like that when a conversation is written down. They should have cleaned it up instead transcribing it word-for-word.

UMass had 3 really major problems last year: just average performance from the QB spot, porous run defense, and a really tough schedule. They were really fine everywhere else and Blaylark is clearly one of the better backs in IAA. The big question is, has any of those 3 problem areas been fixed this year? Day is still the QB (they keep bringing in guys to beat him out and they never pan out), pretty much the same unit for their front 7 is back so will just another year be enough to make them better against the run, and is the schedule any easier? I think the schedule is still tough - I see UMass having no problem starting 5-0, but the last six games (you forgot to add the game at Hofstra to end the season) are brutal. Even the Army game, which is one of the easier IA's you can play, is tough in that stretch being a road game and being right after the game in Newark. Four road games out of the last 5, all at tough venues, could doom UMass this year.
    Proud Member of the Fightin' Blue Hen Nation

FCS Expert
    UMass has a great SID. He puts out some of the best media guides there is in the country. For fooball his guide is always in the top 5 in the country. As for the article... it has more to do with expressing the quotes that Brown said then how it was writen IMO. As for the team. Our frount 7 added alot of depth this year either by transfers who sat out last year and freshman who will see some time. It also doesnt hurt that they all now have a year of exp. As for the QB battle... from what I was told... Day came into the spring showing alot of improvement till he got sick. He knows his job is on the line and he is putting up a fight. Personally I think our freshman Coen will be the starter but that will remain to be seen. And for the schedule.... nothing we can do about that but at least this year our tough games end the season and not start them. That hurt us last year with our young team... now we have a vet team with the tough games at the end... Im just hoping for a major injury free season.

AGS FCS Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Umass74
    The article seems to be a transcription of a verbal statement. Everybody sounds like that when a conversation is written down. They should have cleaned it up instead transcribing it word-for-word.
    If that's what he said, I can see why they had trouble with it. Some of it (like the first paragraph) doesn't make sense.

He certainly has gone out on a limb for the team. A little unusual for a coach to be so glowing about prospects in the spring. I happen to agree with him, but still unusual.

FCS Expert
    UMass spring game

Looks like we had a productive spring game. Offense looks sharp and the D... Well its a Coach Brown D...
    Last edited by umassfan; May 7th, 2005 at 03:39 PM.