Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

North Alabama Moves on to Div I Study

Well, looks like we'll know in the next few months whether or not North Alabama is going to make the move to Div I. I'm guessing the Ohio Valley Conference is their likely option and they would have ample time to get a few things in order so they can apply for Div I in light of the moratorium and the deadlines associated with applying for such status.

FLORENCE On the day six Arkansas and three Oklahoma schools announced intentions to petition the NCAA to form a new Division II athletic conference, University of North Alabama officials took another step closer to moving to Division I.

At their yearly retreat Monday, the board of trustees agreed to have university President William Cale and other school officials put together a comprehensive business plan detailing the feasibility of moving from Division II to Division I. They want the plan completed in time for the Sept. 10 board meeting.

The purpose of the plan will be to develop an idea of the cost associated with the move, understand the benchmarks the university would have to meet to see the move happen and determine community support, according to President Pro Tem Steve Pierce.
    http://www.timesdaily.com/article/20...hletics-future
    -The Terror-

Re: North Alabama Moves on to Div I Study

Quote Originally Posted by TexasTerror View Post
    Well, looks like we'll know in the next few months whether or not North Alabama is going to make the move to Div I. I'm guessing the Ohio Valley Conference is their likely option and they would have ample time to get a few things in order so they can apply for Div I in light of the moratorium and the deadlines associated with applying for such status.

http://www.timesdaily.com/article/20...hletics-future
    Back in the day they were a D2 football powerhouse. It seemed like they were playing for national title after national title. D1 would be a good fit for them.
    UND (3-5) at E.Washington (7-2)
    1-3 BSC Record

Darell wants the precioussssssssss!!!!!!!!!

Looks like that big rule change in reclassification hasn't stopped more schools from wanting a piece of that DI pie...
    Look down and see what the next person has to say . . .

First Class FCS Advocate aztecjim's Avatar

Dumb question. Can a complete feasability study be done that quickly?

Quote Originally Posted by TheBisonator View Post
    Looks like that big rule change in reclassification hasn't stopped more schools from wanting a piece of that DI pie...
    I don't think they were trying to stop the biggest and best football schools in DII from moving up to FCS...it's not really that many.

I think they're were trying to stop every tiny, 2-bit school with a hoops team and a 1k arena from moving up to DI bball and getting a piece of the DI MBB tourny money.

Quote Originally Posted by MplsBison View Post
    I don't think they were trying to stop the biggest and best football schools in DII from moving up to FCS...it's not really that many.

I think they're were trying to stop every tiny, 2-bit school with a hoops team and a 1k arena from moving up to DI bball and getting a piece of the DI MBB tourny money.
    "THE NORTHEAST CONFERENCE"
    Look down and see what the next person has to say . . .

Quote Originally Posted by aztecjim View Post
    Dumb question. Can a complete feasability study be done that quickly?
    I do not think it would be hard. I'm sure the folks at UNA have been working on this for awhile (before the announcement) and there's pretty basic information to determining the costs and ramifications of moving to Div I. Does not seem like there would be much investigative work to be had...
    -The Terror-

Quote Originally Posted by darell1976 View Post
    Back in the day they were a D2 football powerhouse. It seemed like they were playing for national title after national title. D1 would be a good fit for them.
    When your giving out 60 some scholarships and everyone else is giving out 36, your going to be pretty good. There is a reason they went on probation and weren't relevant for a number of years after those NC's.
    Poster formerly named:
    Sioux

A response to the story by a UNA fan...

D2 is our home! Stop, realize it's fiscally irresponsible to change divisions and commit (publicly) to Division II!

Talk about misinformation. I'd like to know what 'problem' Mr. Flippo is speaking of because the GSC was fine before the Arkansas schools and will be fine after. I'd also like to know what fairy tale the Student Body VP is living in when stated "we've been the top of" D2 for so long? Our last national title was 7 years ago in volleyball and over 15 years in any other sport. We didn't rank in the Top 100 of D2 schools in All-Sports standings this year. Those are the facts.

I even offer that we have a lot of ground to cover in many aspects (fiscal, facilities, teams) to be considered a top Division II school. To continue to publicly study and consider 'moving up' (reclassifying) is a slap in the face to the division we should consider our home and be proud to represent.

The NCAA has awarded UNA the Division II Football Championship Game, now associated with the D2 Hall of Fame and the Harlon Hill trophy, in Florence for over 20 years because it is the stereo-typical small college town. We are the 'de facto' home of D2 football, but some aren't satisfied until we are like Jacksonville State (heard of them lately?) or Troy, who did "have a plan" but has only had mediocre success in non-football sports with their football claims-to-fame coming in sound-bytes like 'we were beating LSU in the third quarter.'

UNA is an outstanding regional university that should use moderate enrollment figures as an attribute to the learning environment and embrace the small college dynamic. That is certainly why I chose to attend.

Let this debate ensue once and for all! It seems Mr. Pierce and a few others are dead set on this happening. I, personally, can only chalk up this continued debate to a case of Little Man syndrome. Hopefully this round of discussion will repress some of that personal ambition with what is best and right for the University.

It is my hope that UNA will remain where it should be, in D2, and focus on winning more championships. It's been a while!

ROAR LIONS!
    And a thread on the GSC message board - http://www.d2messageboard.com/showthread.php?t=33132
    -The Terror-

AP article...the $12 a semester fee is really low, if you ask me. It is a school of about 7000 students. If you were to raise the fee to $100 a semester (which does not seem like much when compared to most other schools), you are making $1.4M via student fees. The other $1.6M difference between UNA and the average between OVC schools will be made up with bigger guarantees and increased revenue. You could make about $500-600k in football guarantees alone, get your hoops team to net you $250k in revenue (which is four good money games) and then find the rest elsewhere...

UNA athletic director Mark Linder said it would cost between $900,000 and $1.3 million for the three-time Division II football national champions to apply for the move.

"I don't know where the money will come from," he told The TimesDaily of Florence in a story Wednesday.

Hiking the $12-a-semester athletic fees for students could bring in part of the money.

A study commissioned by North Alabama in May 2008 showed the school's athletic budget is about $3 million less than the average program in the Ohio Valley Conference, which includes Jacksonville State.
    http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/...+to+Division+I
    -The Terror-