He responds to Dan Wetzel's column on 12 I-A games. Thought this was interesting.

Sorry, my tags are messing up (which is why I can't post the link), but here's the cut-and-paste:

------------------------------------

This column is right on the mark. I am a former I-AA head football coach who has been an executive in the banking business for 16 years. The escalation of coaching salaries, coupled with long term and rollover contracts for coaches is an irrational position for universities. Decoupling the two would at least be a move toward logic for the universities.

As in corporate structures, what would make most sense for universities to move toward is a "performance-based compensation" model. This assures the coach a very fair salary but makes his or her total comp variable based on his or her results. Finally, taxpayers and alumni should think of themselves as shareholders of their alma mater and hold the university to the same standards of return on investment that they hold large corporations to.

That may get administrators to think twice before they negotiate themselves into paying for three coaches at one time.

Joe Purzycki
Wilmington, Del.

------------------------------------------------

Now I can't say I agree with him or anything... pay-per-performance works great in an economics textbook, but have about as much chance of coming true as me becoming the next head coach of Lehigh.