Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I-AA vs Div II

I-AA vs Div II

What are feelings on the number of Division II schools who could compete with the top 25 I-AA schools?
    I saw a comment on a another board saying there were "a lot" of D-II's who could compete with the top 25 of our division. I would be surprised to see evidence of this being the case. A handful at the most, or is my impression of I-AA inflated?

According to Ken Massey's ratings http://www.masseyratings.com/rate.php?lg=cf there are five D-II and one D-III ranked ahead of #25 I-AA NW La.

The top DII schools may be able to compete in an individual game... vs the bottom half of 1AA's Top 25... just as the top 1AAs may be able to do the same with the bottom half of 1A's Top 25. But only in a one shot deal... as neither 1AA or DII has the depth to compete with the high division on a regular basis.

I wouldn't think more than the top 10 of DII could compete with the top 25 in IAA - mind you, not over a whole season, but in just one game. The whole season is too much of a grind with the limited scholarships to win consistently. But in just one game, certainly they can compete. The problem you'll have, though, is that there are very few games between the top of DII and the top of DIAA - Lock Haven's and Cheyney's represent some of the worst of DII (Cheyney may very well be the worst) but you see very few matchups including the Pittsburgh States, the North Alabama's of DII. I know Pittsburgh St was 1-1 in the 90's against IAA teams, losing a close game to E. Illinois (playoff team that year) and beating SW MS St the next year. There was a game played in the '90's between Youngstown (may have been #1 or at least top 5) and the top ranked team in DII, had Youngstown winning 10-9. There's the Montana loss a few years back to NDSU (DII at the time and not even the best team in DII). Like I said, in just a one game format, the top 10 of DII could be extremely competitve even against the top 25 in IAA.
    Proud Member of the Fightin' Blue Hen Nation

Quote Originally Posted by ChickenMan
    The top DII schools may be able to compete in an individual game... vs the bottom half of 1AA's Top 25... just as the top 1AAs may be able to do the same with the bottom half of 1A's Top 25. But only in a one shot deal... as neither 1AA or DII has the depth to compete with the high division on a regular basis.
    Agreed CM...

We won a National title the year we beat D-II National Champ North Alabama. But they had cheated recruiting , were placed on NCAA probation and were loaded with I-A players from the SEC.

We also play D-II PSAC teams in the opener and its amazing how many go to the D-II play-offs. The GLIAC is the strongest D-II league and its champ would give most I-AAs a run for their money. A season's worth is another matter.
    Four time I-AA National Champions

A few of the top D-2's could compete with the elite of 1-AA but as another poster said, playing a 1-AA schedule would wear most teams down. D-2 as a whole is much better than the 1-AA mid-majors, which are basically decent D-3 teams.
    Make Delaware Football Great Again

Thats correct. There is a match-up this year between D-III Wittenberg ( very good) vs I-AA ( non-scholly) Dayton,also very good for their division.

People are looking for a close game.
    Four time I-AA National Champions

I would have to say that the Blazers of Valdosta State could give the top 25 of I-AA a run for their $$$. But then again they probably can't even spell their names. :cool: Don't get me wrong, the school is pretty good, but the athletes are a whooooole different story. That goes for most D2 schools.

Considering half of Valdosta State seems to be guys who Bobby Bowden gave the boot, dadgummit. I'd say you're right.