Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Arrow Re: Lousiana schools facing more budget problems

Quote Originally Posted by TexasTerror View Post
    The economic impact study by the Univ of Louisiana system was everything a dummy knows about the impact of higher education and what having colleges do for anywhere (i.e jobs, federal $$$, etc). I don't think that will make much a difference in what's going on...

Education is a failure in this state. From K to college. Gov. Bobby Jindal should know a bit about it since he has had some involvement. Unfortunately, the state planned for too much revenue from gas money that did not come. Now, everyone is cutting and since education has never been important to the state, may as well cut it some more.

Look for some schools to cut sports (if they can "afford to" without breaking NCAA and conference rules).
    The state did not PLAN for more revenue from gas! They base their budget projections as does any other state on averages and a lot is oil and gas taxes to be exact... In addition, no one expected the Stock Market to collapse the past 6 months as it did driving Oil below the magic number where they make money thus driving them to cut back on new projects, which in turns drops state revenue.

These cuts will affect additional hirings, academic building projects and things of that nature more than anything.. Athletics will be fine because schools like Mcneese have great booster and fan support...
    "Arm yourself, because no one else here will save you"

Twitter.com/LiveLebleuLa
    Twitter.com/DDListings

Re: Lousiana schools facing more budget problems

Quote Originally Posted by slycat View Post
    I was talking to people who went to school in LA and its just a mess. I really don't see how the state can get back on track.

Gambling isn't paying off nearly as much as they expected.

I agree that sports will be the first to go but they've got to get a hold on education at every level.
    Again, sports won't be the first to go, because so little is funding by the state to begin with... Excessive hiring, raises, professorships, academic building projects will be delayed or cut back...

Gambling revenue is just as good and better in many areas than it was a year ago, so that money is still there and is being used as it has in the past, usually for one time funding projects, not salaries and such..

Twitter.com/LiveLebleuLa
    Twitter.com/DDListings

Quote Originally Posted by Retro View Post
    Again, sports won't be the first to go, because so little is funding by the state to begin with... Excessive hiring, raises, professorships, academic building projects will be delayed or cut back...

Gambling revenue is just as good and better in many areas than it was a year ago, so that money is still there and is being used as it has in the past, usually for one time funding projects, not salaries and such..
    Arkansas is finally getting gambling...a lottery that is...and I believe the company to run it is based out of Texas.
    SLCFOOTBALL.COM! SLCFOOTBALL.COM! SLCFOOTBALL.COM!

I can say my gambling money has gone into the LA system
    People pursuing their own self interest leads to destruction of all

Thanks....come back again!

Quote Originally Posted by Retro View Post
    These cuts will affect additional hirings, academic building projects and things of that nature more than anything.. Athletics will be fine because schools like Mcneese have great booster and fan support...
    Southern has already said they will likely cut sports...

UNO needs a student referendum to pass in order to keep athletics...

Nicholls has reportedly eliminated scholarships to women's golf and may be cutting sports...
    -The Terror-

Arrow Re: Lousiana schools facing more budget problems

Southern like many swac schools rely heavly on those big city classics just to break even, so i'm not surprised with them.. Nicholls of course has always done more with less than anyone else in conference, so they will have the toughest decisions to make.. The rest: NWST and SELA will probably be ok because they are run better.. Grambling will probably have some problems..

Twitter.com/LiveLebleuLa
    Twitter.com/DDListings

First Class FCS Ruler chrisattsu's Avatar

So how could this affect the SLC in the long run. A worst case scenario for the conference:

Nicholls St drops sports, Texas State, UTSA, Lamar, and SHSU leave for FBS.

This leaves the conference with 4 football teams. Are there enough teams to fill the spots from the Lone Star Conference or does the conference collapse and teams move to other conferences? Or the conference losses its auto bid.
    Talking to people in the LSC world, some are reluctant to make a jump. Teams that have had a winning history (Texas A&I, Tarleton State, and West Texas A&M) all are finding their stride in D2.

Division 2 is really spinning itself right now as the fiscally responsible alternative to college sports. You can play nearby teams (reducing travel costs), maintain fewer scholarships, and still have rivalries and a chance for a national championship in every sport.

A team coming from the Lone Star will never receive the national notoriety that a D1 Cinderella does come playoffs, but they will go deep in D2 every time.

LSC Teams to SLC-
    Tarleton - I used think it was good chance, but two things happened this year that have made me question it. First, the students nixed the first round of a potential athletic fee increase. It eventually passed with some controlled growth, but the students were very unhappy about it. Second, we have a new president. Time will tell if FCS is something he was to pursue.

West Texas A&M - Best football record in LSC since 2005 (and they have finished with top avg attendance 21,000+ during that time), dominate in VB, WBB, and they consistently make the tourney in MBB. They have D1 history (MVC), but they have found a place in the LSC. They have regional rivalries between Abilene Christian and Eastern NM. No FCS conference is going to provide 'close' opponents.

Texas A&I- (or A&M-Kingsville) has a proud athletic tradition. If they wanted to move up, they would have done it when rivals SHSU, SWT, and SFA did during the 80s. While the Southland would be a better geographic fit, their student growth has tapered and alumni donations have tapered off. Maybe they would bolt if some LSC teams joined.

Abilene Christian- Holds the NCAA record of 52 National Championships. Former member of the Southland. Maybe they would jump, but they just had some bad recruiting violations come down for shady practices.

Central Oklahoma- Extends the SLC brand to a new state. They are coming off some shady practices as well.

Incarnate Word- Joins the LSC next year. Benson has given a blank check and they were rumored to be flirting with FCS if the LSC did not accept them. Who knows, maybe the SLC will invite them after their two SA-market teams (TXST, UTSA) leave.

I do not see Texas A&M-Commerce, Angelo State, Eastern New Mexico, the other 4 Oklahoma Schools, and Midwestern State being interested in a move either.
    Tarleton Texan - Hey Oscar P!
    Texas State Bobcat - Show 'em State!

Major FCS Ruler 3rd Coast Tiger's Avatar

Mine too! I was just there Easter weekend.

Thumbs up Re: Lousiana schools facing more budget problems

Quote Originally Posted by JohnStOnge View Post
    Whenever I see a statement like that I have to mention that, when you adjust for demographics, Louisiana is more a "middle of the pack" state nationally than a "bottom of the barrell" state. I'm talking about in terms of standardized test scores. You have to realize that Louisiana is a State that is about 32 percent Black and has about 19 percent of it's people below the poverty level. I've looked at it before and, if you were to adjust national NAEP test scores to reflect the Demographics of Louisiana, you'd get an average right in line with what Louisiana students achieve. The educational system, per se, does not do a bad job given the population it has to deal with.
    Stop making excuses JSO. TT was on point w/ his statement and it's not the 1st or the last time we've heard that type commentary from people who are not "native" to your home state. Your commentary alludes to a higher "disproportionate" (your inference) percentile of Blacks in the state swaying the current level of test scores, which by your inference, is low.

If you're bottom of the barrel you're bottom of the barrel. Be happy w/ that claim, & stay on that side of the Sabine Riv w/ that type stupidity & excuse making for the other 60+% of the inbreds.