Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Louisiana schools facing more budget problems

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Louisiana schools facing more budget problems

This looks to hurts a few SLC schools pretty bad.

http://www.wwltv.com/topstories/stor....e03938f5.html

In tough times, the budget axe swings freely at Louisiana State colleges and universities.

With the state now facing a more than a $2 billion shortfall, higher education could see up to a 40 percent cut in state funding over the next two years.

"We are bracing for the doomsday," said Louisiana Higher Education Commissioner Sally Clausen. "It is the worst case scenario. We are being cut, right now, by almost $440 million dollars."

Deep cuts are looming and university heads are making sure lawmakers know exactly what their losing.

Thursday morning, the eight college University of Louisiana system, which includes Nicholls State and Southeastern in the New Orleans area, released its latest economic impact study.
    People pursuing their own self interest leads to destruction of all

Re: Lousiana schools facing more budget problems

The economic impact study by the Univ of Louisiana system was everything a dummy knows about the impact of higher education and what having colleges do for anywhere (i.e jobs, federal $$$, etc). I don't think that will make much a difference in what's going on...

Education is a failure in this state. From K to college. Gov. Bobby Jindal should know a bit about it since he has had some involvement. Unfortunately, the state planned for too much revenue from gas money that did not come. Now, everyone is cutting and since education has never been important to the state, may as well cut it some more.

Look for some schools to cut sports (if they can "afford to" without breaking NCAA and conference rules).
    -The Terror-

I was talking to people who went to school in LA and its just a mess. I really don't see how the state can get back on track.

Gambling isn't paying off nearly as much as they expected.

I agree that sports will be the first to go but they've got to get a hold on education at every level.

My Team
    McNeese State

Quote Originally Posted by slycat View Post
    I was talking to people who went to school in LA and its just a mess. I really don't see how the state can get back on track.

I agree that sports will be the first to go but they've got to get a hold on education at every level.
    Again, sports won't be the first to go, because so little is funding by the state to begin with... Excessive hiring, raises, professorships, academic building projects will be delayed or cut back...

Gambling revenue is just as good and better in many areas than it was a year ago, so that money is still there and is being used as it has in the past, usually for one time funding projects, not salaries and such..
    "Arm yourself, because no one else here will save you"

Twitter.com/LiveLebleuLa
    Twitter.com/DDListings

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Retro View Post
    Again, sports won't be the first to go, because so little is funding by the state to begin with... Excessive hiring, raises, professorships, academic building projects will be delayed or cut back...

Gambling revenue is just as good and better in many areas than it was a year ago, so that money is still there and is being used as it has in the past, usually for one time funding projects, not salaries and such..
    Arkansas is finally getting gambling...a lottery that is...and I believe the company to run it is based out of Texas.
    Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will.

I can say my gambling money has gone into the LA system

My Team
    Jackson State

Quote Originally Posted by slycat View Post

I went to Jackson State with someone from N.O. who majored in Education. He originally thought of going back to LA to work because he said the system was so poor there in a lot of schools that most students could barely read
    Bleeding Blue & White
    Jackson State University for Life
    Jackson Fair.....Jackson Dear
    JSU....Home of the quintessence of contemporary sounds and maneuvers, the Summa Cum Laude of Bands, the Sonic Boom of the South

http://www.swacfans.com
    http://www.sonicboomofthesouth.com

Quote Originally Posted by TexasTerror View Post
    Education is a failure in this state. From K to college. .
    Whenever I see a statement like that I have to mention that, when you adjust for demographics, Louisiana is more a "middle of the pack" state nationally than a "bottom of the barrell" state. I'm talking about in terms of standardized test scores. You have to realize that Louisiana is a State that is about 32 percent Black and has about 19 percent of it's people below the poverty level. I've looked at it before and, if you were to adjust national NAEP test scores to reflect the Demographics of Louisiana, you'd get an average right in line with what Louisiana students achieve. The educational system, per se, does not do a bad job given the population it has to deal with.
    I believe that I must tell the truth
    and say things as they really are.
    But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth,
    could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple, from "No one came."

AGS FCS Champion

Thumbs up Re: Lousiana schools facing more budget problems

Quote Originally Posted by JohnStOnge View Post
    Whenever I see a statement like that I have to mention that, when you adjust for demographics, Louisiana is more a "middle of the pack" state nationally than a "bottom of the barrell" state. I'm talking about in terms of standardized test scores. You have to realize that Louisiana is a State that is about 32 percent Black and has about 19 percent of it's people below the poverty level. I've looked at it before and, if you were to adjust national NAEP test scores to reflect the Demographics of Louisiana, you'd get an average right in line with what Louisiana students achieve. The educational system, per se, does not do a bad job given the population it has to deal with.
    Stop making excuses JSO. TT was on point w/ his statement and it's not the 1st or the last time we've heard that type commentary from people who are not "native" to your home state. Your commentary alludes to a higher "disproportionate" (your inference) percentile of Blacks in the state swaying the current level of test scores, which by your inference, is low.

If you're bottom of the barrel you're bottom of the barrel. Be happy w/ that claim, & stay on that side of the Sabine Riv w/ that type stupidity & excuse making for the other 60+% of the inbreds.

Quote Originally Posted by Panther88 View Post
    Stop making excuses JSO. TT was on point w/ his statement and it's not the 1st or the last time we've heard that type commentary from people who are not "native" to your home state. Your commentary alludes to a higher "disproportionate" (your inference) percentile of Blacks in the state swaying the current level of test scores, which by your inference, is low.

If you're bottom of the barrel you're bottom of the barrel. Be happy w/ that claim, & stay on that side of the Sabine Riv w/ that type stupidity & excuse making for the other 60+% of the inbreds.
    Panther, I guess we're getting into politics. But the point is that, when you look at educational systems, you need to look at the Demographics of the populations.

I've done it before but to update I went and looked at the National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP) 8th grade math test. I like to use the NAEP tests because NAEP conducts a scientific (probability) sampling of students. And I like to look at 8th grade Math because 1) it has a large enough sample size to do certain breakdowns and 2) I consider math to be relatively uninfluenced by cultural bias.

Anyway, the national public school average for the 2007 8th grade math test is 287 and the Louisiana public school average is 280. The difference of 8 is statistically significant (95 percent confidence level). The NAEP site allows you to "control" for variables and see what happens. When I just "controled" for students' race and whether or not they are eligible for the school lunch program (i.e., whether or not they are low income), the difference changes by 9 to +1 in Louisiana's favor and is not statistically significant. In other words, once we make a reasonable effort to "account" for race and socioeconomic status, there is not sufficient evidence to say that Louisiana students, on average, would score lower on that math test than students would nationally. They are right in line with the average rather than below it .

Why did that happen? Well, there is an obvious association between race and socioeconomic status and how well students score. Nationally, Black students scored 21 points below the overall average. Students eligible for the school lunch program scored 15 points below the overall average. Black students eligible for the school lunch program scored 25 points below the overall average. And Louisiana has 1) a higher proportion of Black students than the overall nation does, 2) a higher proportion of lower socioeconomic status students than the overall nation does and 3) a higher proportion of Black lower socioeconomic students than the overall nation does.

The Country is 12.4% Black and has 13.3% of its people below the poverty level (Census estimates). Louisiana is 31.9% Black and has 19.3% of its people below the poverty level. Assessing the Louisiana education system's performance without taking that into account is absurd; yet it's done all the time.

Plus there are other variables, such as educational attainment level of parents, that are known to be associated with variation in test scores. Louisiana's educators are at a disadvantage with respect to those other variables as well.

I have a deaf son. Being deaf is a tremendous disadvantage. He went to Louisiana public schools all his life and consistently scored in the national 97th to 99th percentile range on standardized tests. If the Louisiana public school system is such a limiting factor per se, how did that happen?
    Last edited by JohnStOnge; April 21st, 2009 at 07:44 PM.
    I believe that I must tell the truth
    and say things as they really are.
    But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth,
    could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple, from "No one came."