two Bryant players worked out for the Arizona Cardinals

SMITH AND WHYTE STRUT THEIR STUFF FOR THE NFL

SMITHFIELD, R.I. - Bryant University senior defensive end Don Smith (Attleboro, MA) and junior linebacker Andre Whyte (Bennington, VT) worked out for a scout with the Arizona Cardinals Wednesday morning. The pair went through several speed and agility tests during the workout session.

Whyte finished the 2008 season third on the team in total tackles with 51 including 39 solo stop sand six tackles for a loss. He also had four pass breakups and two interceptions on the season.

He had five games with five or more tackles including a season-high seven against Southern Connecticut and six against Massachusetts.

Smith, one of the team's best pass rushers for the past two seasons, had 43 tackles in 11 games last fall and finished the year with 11.5 tackles for a loss including 8.5 sacks. In addition, Smith led the team with seven pass breakups and nine quarterback hurries.

He had a season-high nine tackles in the win over Southern Connecticut and seven tackles to go with a pair of sacks in the win over Wagner, Bryant's first Division I win.

Bryant went 7-4 in its first year competing at the Division I Football Championship Subdivision in 2008. The Bulldogs will open spring practice on Wednesday, March 25 and will conclude spring practice with the annual Black & Gold Spring Game on Sunday, April 19 at 1 p.m.

The 2009 schedule is nearly complete and will be announced soon.