It's being discussed by fans of UNC-Charlotte:

http://www.ninernation.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23181

thelew1014: Richmond, URI, UMass, Duquesne, Fordham, Charlotte. That's enough to form a conference. If we sponsor it, then the A10 needs to grow some balls and make these teams choose. Richmond, if you want to play CAA football, go play everything else there too, you are far from irreplaceable. Dayton may very well decide to give scholarships of such a league forms, and Temple has been considering a drop to FCS for a while.

The same applies for us... if the A10 sponsors football, then we need to make a decision: will we play in the A10 or the Big South. It's bad enough that we can't find rivalries in basketball in our conference, playing schools that we won't play in other sports in only one sport won't do a damn thing.

ninerballin:I'm almost willing to bet the Patriot League laughed them out of the room.

First off, Fordham doesn't have that many options outside the Patriot league. 2nd off, who would be in an A10 Football league? UMass maybe, Villanova maybe, certainly could bring in Duquesne, I think La Salle is cutting football? Temple could be a possiblity, but I'm sure they don't want to regress to FCS. Rhode Island would probably join.

Richmond isn't going anywhere, CAA is a great fit for them. Outside of that there isn't that many teams that would tag along.

So, when you look at it, it wouldn't make much sense for Charlotte to be apart of that league, even if A10 Football was present. The Big South makes MUCH more sense. Sure, it's an easier league, but there would also be more fan support due to the locality of the teams in the Big South. It would be much easier to make a road trip to lets say, Gardner Webb, rather than a road trip to Philadelphia or Pittsburgh.
Thought it was very interesting to see this from the A-10 perspective. They're wondering if the A-10 football affiliates (Fordham, Duquesne, UMass, Richmond, URI, UNCC) might band together to sponsor football once again. For good measure, Dayton and even Temple are mentioned, too.

I don't think UMass or Richmond would ever be on board for this, incidentally, and for UNCC to consider it would be borderline insane - every conference game would be a flight. But it's being chattered about.