Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colgate Future Schedules

My Team
    Colgate

Colgate Future Schedules

Colgate's AD offered this assessment on a recently posted "Ask the AD" feature on the Colgate website:

Q: Dartmouth has been on Colgate’s football schedule annually for some time. However, I understand that this rivalry ends in 2011. Are there any plans to schedule additional games with Dartmouth and other Ivy schools besides Cornell, Princeton and Yale?

Also, are there any plans to schedule games with schools outside the Northeast besides the Furman and Air Force games that are already scheduled in the future?

A: Your question comes up quite often. We have contacted every Ivy school on numerous occasions in regards to football scheduling. We will continue to play Cornell every year along with some of the Ivies you mentioned. We will schedule Dartmouth again after a short break. Please keep in mind the Ivy League plays three non-League games per season while we play 5-6 depending on the year. We do have games scheduled with Northeastern ( 2012 & 13) and UMass ( 2016 & 17). We have not scheduled games out of the Northeast beyond Furman in 2010 and Air Force in 2013.

Nice to see the CAA back on our schedule, as well as confirmation of the long-discussed Northeastern home-and-home.

AGS FCS Champion TheValleyRaider's Avatar

Re: Colgate Future Schedules

Very cool

Also nice to see some names on schedules past 2011. Northeastern and UMass are great adds, and I think Dartmouth could use the break (I think they could use some kind of variety to their schedule)

Hopefully this includes some Ivy matchups with schools we haven't played in a while like Brown (or played ever like Harvard/Penn)
    Patriot League Champions - 1997 1999 2002 2003 2005 2008 2012 2015 2017 2018
    NCAA Playoffs - 1982 1983 1997 1998 1999 2003 2005 2008 2012 2015 2018
    NCAA Championship Game - 2003
    1932 - Undefeated, Untied, Unscored Upon
    Let's Go 'Gate!

Quote Originally Posted by TheValleyRaider View Post
    Very cool

Also nice to see some names on schedules past 2011. Northeastern and UMass are great adds, and I think Dartmouth could use the break (I think they could use some kind of variety to their schedule)

Hopefully this includes some Ivy matchups with schools we haven't played in a while like Brown (or played ever like Harvard/Penn)
    Junior Ivy and I attended the '95 Harvard-Colgate game in Hamilton. We did have a home-and-home back in that era. Harvard also played Fordham a couple of times back then. Would like to see those series renewed!
    Harvard 2023: Back in the saddle again! A bit crowded, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivytalk View Post
    Junior Ivy and I attended the '95 Harvard-Colgate game in Hamilton. We did have a home-and-home back in that era. Harvard also played Fordham a couple of times back then. Would like to see those series renewed!
    Hey - those were the glory days of Fordham football!

<at least as far as my parents are concerned>

First Class FCS Advocate

WHY not get scollies and play beyond the IVY league?

I'd love to play beyond the Ivies. I love the Furman game, the CAA matchups, the Air Force game. But I don't think we ought to just jettison the Ivy games so easily

Even with an 11 game schedule, we still get 5 OOC games, which is plenty of room for a variety of opponents, Ivy and otherwise

Plus, I'm also operating under the assumption the schedule will have a bunch of Ivies anyway. Figure I might as well put my in for some more variety there as well
    Let's Go 'Gate!

Nice schedule, gate fans!

This does beg the question of whether or not this would impact the Ivy relationship. While I'm sure it would, a quick look of their 2008 schedule shows a good number of scholarship schools on it (Towson, Villanova, New Hampshire, Stony Brook, etc.).

While it might hurt the PL-Ivy relationship, it certainly doesn't appear that it would preclude them scheduling us.

My Team
    Colgate

I think with scholarships, you would see Colgate play more of its traditional "stretch" games with I-A schools, including Duke, Penn State, Rutgers, Army, Syracuse and others. You might also see a Vanderbilt or Rice on the schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by Fordham View Post
    Nice schedule, gate fans!

This does beg the question of whether or not this would impact the Ivy relationship. While I'm sure it would, a quick look of their 2008 schedule shows a good number of scholarship schools on it (Towson, Villanova, New Hampshire, Stony Brook, etc.).

While it might hurt the PL-Ivy relationship, it certainly doesn't appear that it would preclude them scheduling us.
    I have to think Colgate would want to schedule Fordham if the Rams do in fact leave the PL (obviously I hope it doesn't come to that, but well...)

To be fair though, of that list of scholarship schools we play, Villanova and UNH were playoff opponents, and not actively sought out for games. Though, in the last 6 years (since I've been following in 2003), we've scheduled these scholarship schools:
    Buffalo
    UMass (4 times)
    Albany
    Towson
    Stony Brook
    Coastal Carolina
    Furman
    The last 5 were just in the past 2 seasons. This coming year we've got Monmouth and Stony Brook again, so we're certainly not afraid of scheduling non-Ivy opponents
    Let's Go 'Gate!

Quote Originally Posted by TheValleyRaider View Post
    I have to think Colgate would want to schedule Fordham if the Rams do in fact leave the PL (obviously I hope it doesn't come to that, but well...)

To be fair though, of that list of scholarship schools we play, Villanova and UNH were playoff opponents, and not actively sought out for games. Though, in the last 6 years (since I've been following in 2003), we've scheduled these scholarship schools:
    Buffalo
    UMass (4 times)
    Albany
    Towson
    Stony Brook
    Coastal Carolina
    Furman
    The last 5 were just in the past 2 seasons. This coming year we've got Monmouth and Stony Brook again, so we're certainly not afraid of scheduling non-Ivy opponents
    And I believe Albany is Colgate next year, right?