So I'm riding home yesterday and while flipping through stations I hear someone say something about Holy Cross football in it. It ends up being the guy standing in for Paul Harvey for the day and he's recounting a great story about the 1942 game where a 4-4 Holy Cross team whooped the top ranked BC team 55 - 12, thus knocking them out of what I think was supposed to be a Sugar Bowl invite and an expected 2nd national championship in 3 years.

So, what's "the rest of the story"?

Well, I guess that BC had gotten a little ahead of themselves and decided to schedule their post game party on that Saturday night to celebrate another undefeated season. After losing, they canceled their reservations at The Cocoanut Grove night club that ended up having a deadly fire that killed 492 patrons that night. The loss, quite literally, likely saved the lives of the entire BC football team. "And now you know THE REST of the story."

PS - a little research not only confirmed the story, but also gave an idea as to how the Paul Harvey show picked up on it - Here. Apparently there is a new book out about the rivalry between the two schools that has recently been released. Good stuff.