Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NCAA Lifts 15K restrictions?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

NCAA Lifts 15K restrictions?

With the NCAA loosening the 15K restriction on teams, does anyone know if there are 1-AA teamss looking to make the leap to 1-A? Ones I could think would be Montana, GSU and Delaware could if they wanted to. Are there others that could go as well? I know there is plenty of talk about WKU going but it is merely speculation right now but I would love to see us play in the SBC. I think GA Southern moving up to the SBC would be awesome as well.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you can't be a good example, be a terrible warning.
    http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o.../Network10.gif
    http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/2579/network5rt0.gif

Big Brother LIVES!
    http://www.myspace.com/avidmarc

Proud Member of the AGS Wine and Cheese Crowd
    Quote Originally Posted by Killtoppers90
    With the NCAA loosening the 15K restriction on teams, does anyone know if there are 1-AA teamss looking to make the leap to 1-A? Ones I could think would be Montana, GSU and Delaware could if they wanted to. Are there others that could go as well? I know there is plenty of talk about WKU going but it is merely speculation right now but I would love to see us play in the SBC. I think GA Southern moving up to the SBC would be awesome as well.

Considering their plans for improving Kidd Brewer and their fans discontent with the Socon, I think App State would have to be on the list.

Nothing has changed for Delaware. Until it can be demonstrated that I-A football would provide UD with an opportunity better than what is afforded to them in I-AA (and until they could get interest from a BCS conference in the region), there's no point in their thinking about re-classifying. Just because you can do it, doesn't necessarily mean that you should.

Actually, the attendances for those schools, especially UD and Montana, were not issues before this change. That wasn't the reason they didn't move up. The big stumbling block still is not being able to be in a BCS conference - if you're not in one, then there's little reason, if any, to play DIA football.
    Proud Member of the Fightin' Blue Hen Nation

Quote Originally Posted by GannonFan
    Actually, the attendances for those schools, especially UD and Montana, were not issues before this change. That wasn't the reason they didn't move up. The big stumbling block still is not being able to be in a BCS conference - if you're not in one, then there's little reason, if any, to play DIA football.
    They just changed it Gannonfan. All 1A Conferences are now BCS Bowl eligible. All 1A schools are now BCS football schools.

AGS FCS Champion Lehigh Football Nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronbo
    They just changed it Gannonfan. All I-A Conferences are now BCS Bowl eligible. All I-A schools are now BCS football schools.
    Yeah, but... when, realisitically, is Northern Illinois or New Mexico St. going to be in a BCS bowl? They'd have to go undefeated, for starters. Then, they'd have to have beaten 2-3 nationally ranked teams. It could happen someday, but the fact is the game is still heavily stacked against the MAC and Sun Belt teams.

I mean, heck, the WAC and C-USA can barely get into the BCS party right now.
    Follow me on Twitter (User Name LFN)

The
    Time
    Is
    Now

Quote Originally Posted by Ronbo
    They just changed it Gannonfan. All 1A Conferences are now BCS Bowl eligible. All 1A schools are now BCS football schools.
    Technically yes, but that's just really semantics. The Big Ten, SEC, ACC, Pac 10, Big 12, and Big East will still get the majority of the BCS slots, the majority of the money, and will be the only ones with a chance to play in the national title game. They're just throwing some cash to the lower IA's to keep them happy.
    Proud Member of the Fightin' Blue Hen Nation

On the Breast of Old South Mountain
    My Team
    Lehigh
    Quote Originally Posted by GannonFan
    Agreed. I think UD's program has been one of the longtime premiers. To "move up" to a bigger pond, that could result in being 'average', with occasional blips, might not sit will with the Diamond Staters.
    LEHIGH WILL SHINE TONIGHT, LEHIGH WILL SHINE!
    Patriot League Champions: 1993, 1995, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2010, 2011, 2016, 2017
    NCAA Playoff Appearances: D-II 1973, 1975, 1977 NCAA Champions
    D-IAA 1979 (Finalist), 1980, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2016, 2017

Master FCS Advocate
    TT,

We have seven home games, two of them d-IIs, and all the major SLC contenders coming to San Marcos. I will be amazed if we go less then 8-3 this season. As a matter of fact I truly think that SLC champion is going to be either Northwestern St or Texas State.

In other words TxSt will have a break out season come this fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Killtoppers90
    The attendance issue is the least of our worries. They could raise the minimum to 20,000 and we're fine. The hold back for Montana seems to be the initial costs and the MSU rivalry. I guess if MSU decided they wanted to go back to Division II Montana would be forced to go with them. The Rivalry, The Rivalry! It's a disgusting hate fest. I'd welcome an end to it.
    Last edited by Ronbo; April 29th, 2005 at 09:11 AM.