Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 38
  1. #1
    First Class FCS Ruler chrisattsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Along the Austintonio Corridor
    Posts
    615

    UTSA approved for Football



    The University of Texas System Board of Regents approved a plan for UT-San Antonio.

    The plan calls for UTSA to develop an $84 million competitive athletic complex over the next several years and add an NCAA Football Championship Subdivision (FCS / formerly Division I-AA) football program with the intent to advance the athletics department’s existing 16 intercollegiate sports programs plus football to an NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS / formerly Division I-A) conference.

    http://utsa.edu/today/2008/12/football.cfm
    Tarleton Texan - Hey Oscar P!
    Texas State Bobcat - Show 'em State!

  2. #2
    AGS FCS Champion DFW HOYA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    8,172

    Re: UTSA approved for Football

    Congratulations.

    (OK, UTA, you're on the clock...)

  3. #3
    The Zen of the Lego Tod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    MISSOULA, MONTANA!!!
    Posts
    13,878

    Re: UTSA approved for Football

    Is it just me, or are football helmets slowly evolving into Darth Vader masks?

    But, congrats to UTSA!

  4. #4
    Southland Swami TexasTerror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    25,617

    Re: UTSA approved for Football

    Quote Originally Posted by DFW HOYA View Post
    Congratulations.

    (OK, UTA, you're on the clock...)
    UT-Arlington, you mean? They don't like being referred to as UTA.

    This will be interesting. If UTSA comes out and makes it pretty clear that they will go FBS pretty quickly out of the shoot, the SLC has no reason to let them even join the conference for two years or what not for football. We should not be a 'stepping stone' for someone who will not have a somewhat extended stay.
    -The Terror-

  5. #5
    Master FCS Advocate El Gato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    376

    Re: UTSA approved for Football

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasTerror View Post
    UT-Arlington, you mean? They don't like being referred to as UTA.

    This will be interesting. If UTSA comes out and makes it pretty clear that they will go FBS pretty quickly out of the shoot, the SLC has no reason to let them even join the conference for two years or what not for football. We should not be a 'stepping stone' for someone who will not have a somewhat extended stay.
    Thought about that. Why would the SLC even consider them if they'll be gone just as quickly as they appeared? Along these lines, they have mentioned in their press releases that they plan on playing a full SLC slate by 2012. However, has the SLC approved of this move yet, considering they will start recruiting next year?

  6. #6
    AGS FCS Champion Franks Tanks's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    7,398

    Re: UTSA approved for Football

    Quote Originally Posted by El Gato View Post
    Thought about that. Why would the SLC even consider them if they'll be gone just as quickly as they appeared? Along these lines, they have mentioned in their press releases that they plan on playing a full SLC slate by 2012. However, has the SLC approved of this move yet, considering they will start recruiting next year?
    Very true-- I highly doubt the SLC would let a team in when their intentions are clearly to move to FBS in 2-3 years.

  7. #7
    AGS FCS Champion MplsBison's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    13,617

    Re: UTSA approved for Football

    Does this do anything to Texas State plans?

    Both schools have huge enrollments (TxSt being the flagship of it's university system).

  8. #8
    Top FCS Advocate texcap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    New Braunfels, TX
    Posts
    298

    Re: UTSA approved for Football

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasTerror View Post
    UT-Arlington, you mean? They don't like being referred to as UTA.
    "They" don't?

    Since when?

    I am a graduate of UTA and all it is ever referred to by the students and community is UTA. And before you say they don't like it because it creates confusion with UT Austin, how many people have you heard call UT-Austin, UTA?

    For that matter how often do you hear it called UT Austin unless you are referring to it and another UT campus in the same system? It is UT, and then the rest of the UT(insert your letter or city here) campuses.

  9. #9
    Top FCS Advocate texcap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    New Braunfels, TX
    Posts
    298

    Re: UTSA approved for Football

    Quote Originally Posted by MplsBison View Post
    Does this do anything to Texas State plans?

    Both schools have huge enrollments (TxSt being the flagship of it's university system).
    Are you just baiting TT with that statement?

    He will be livid and have about a two page discourse on why it is not the flagship, and how much better the other schools in the system are. He will also make sure that the term "San Marcos" is attached to the reference, because that is the way it was named.

    You really shouldn't pull his chain on this one; this is his windmill that he is eternally damned to joust.

  10. #10
    Top FCS Ruler McTailGator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    1,558

    Re: UTSA approved for Football

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasTerror View Post
    UT-Arlington, you mean? They don't like being referred to as UTA.

    This will be interesting. If UTSA comes out and makes it pretty clear that they will go FBS pretty quickly out of the shoot, the SLC has no reason to let them even join the conference for two years or what not for football. We should not be a 'stepping stone' for someone who will not have a somewhat extended stay.
    Indeed,

    It is NOT in the best interest of the conference to let them in in football.

    I do not have a problem with them being included in the scheduling rotation, which will solve our last game of the year dilemma for a couple of years.

    But IMO, the game should not be counted as a conference game if they admit they want to move OVER to FBS.

Similar Threads

  1. Will UTSA Ever Play Southland Football
    By TexasTerror in forum FCS Discussion
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: August 14th, 2009, 04:37 PM
  2. Football at UTSA by 2010?
    By texcap in forum FCS Discussion
    Replies: 101
    Last Post: May 2nd, 2009, 09:00 AM
  3. UTSA Looking for Head Football Coach
    By chrisattsu in forum FCS Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: December 13th, 2008, 04:48 PM
  4. UTSA (SLC) thinking I-A football again!
    By Freightliner in forum FCS Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: June 16th, 2006, 06:51 AM
  5. UTSA Looks Into Football
    By TexasTerror in forum FCS Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: October 30th, 2005, 01:40 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •