Biggest Surprise - I think this is a no-brainer - Samford. I think most were predicting either 1-7 or 2-6 for their SoCon record. Nice job, guys.
Honorable mention (1st runner up) Wofford. Don't think many anticipated that they'd be better this year than they were last year. They had a fantastic year this year and it's really too bad they had to play the number 1 seed even though they were arguably one of the best teams in the bracket
Honorable mention (2nd runner up) App. State. They did very well to run the table in the SoCon. didn't think they'd ever be able to do that this year, but they did.

Biggest Disappointment - The Citadel. 2-6 SoCon record. Ouch.

Best performance versus an FBS - With all due respect to the good showings by Samford versus Ole' Miss and Furman versus Virginia Tech, I think this has to go to Wofford versus South Carolina. If you covered up the opponents on South Carolina's schedule and results, you would think that Wofford was an SEC opponent.

Best SoCon game - I didn't seen every game, but the best game I have seen was GSU versus App. State. The last few minutes of the game was a game in itself.

Best OOC WIN - The SoCon lost to the three best FCS OOC opponents we had this season , but if you have to pick one it'd be Furman over Colgate.

Most Disappointing OOC loss - Elon getting drubbed by Liberty. Blew a chance to get 3 SoCon teams in.
Honorable Mention (1st runner up) App. losing to JMU
Honorable Mention (2nd runner up) Elon getting owned by Richmond

Play of the year - The best play I've saw was the fourth down conversion ASU made against GSU on their winning drive. It was kind of a fluke, but wouldn't have happened without Edwards' ability to evade pressure and still find an open receiver.

My 2009 Outlook - correct me if you think I am off base on any of these. Hang on to your butts, guys, because next year the competition will be even stiffer with all the young teams in the league. I see 7 teams getting better next year and 2 that will likely be better. '09 could be the year that we get more than 3 in for the first time.

ASU - ASU should be pretty scary next year. Most of their skill position players on offense are freshman and sophomores so there should be an improvement offensively. Loses a few key players on defense but should still have a good D. Will be better next year, IMO.

Tennessee-Chattanooga - Returns most skill position players on offesnse and most players on defense. I don't see how they won't get better after this abysmal year.

The Citadel - Andre Roberts and Bart Blanchard will be back. Freshman runningback Asheton Jordan who has averaged 5 ypc will obviously be back. They lose some key receivers but have some promising freshman behind them that have gotten some game experience. The Citadel returns most of their starters on defense. Will be better next year, IMO.

Elon - Riddle and Hudgins will be back at QB and WR, and Newsome at RB. Most defensive starters will be back. Will be better next year, IMO.

Furman - Furman is like ASU on offense in that they have a rising senior QB with pretty much all sophomores and freshman in the skill positions. With all those young players the offense they should be much better on that side of the ball. The defense will be a question mark as Furman seems to have a good many seniors on that unit. Will be better if Furman can rebuild the D.

GSU - The biggest question mark on offense will be at the receiver position. GSU loses their top 3 receivers. The good news is GSU managed to lead the SoCon in passing yards this year (times sure have changed, haven't they?) and our pass protection should be much better next year. Lee Chapple seems to be a very promising QB for us. On defense GSU loses 4 important starters but has some good freshman with game experience to take their place. Will be better next year, IMO.

Samford - QB Taliaferro will be back for his sophomore year, their good runningback Chris Evans will be a junior. They also return all of their receivers. They will also only lose one player from their scary OL. Their defense is young and will only lose two or three starters. Will be better next year, IMO.

Western Carolina - WCU's QB and top two rushers on offense are freshmen. WCU's top receivers Marquel Pittman and Adam Hearns will be back. They should be better on the OL with only losing one senior. Defense will most likely be better as they return most of their starters. Factor in Wagner's skill of turning programs around and you can bet WCU will be better next year.

Wofford - I won't say Wofford won't won't be better next year after what happened bewtween this season and the last one, but losing Widmyer, Stirckland, and Romero leaves question marks on offense. The good news is most of the rest of their team (especially the defense) is very young. If Wofford has good players to fill the shoes of Widmyer, Romero, and Strickland, they will be better.