Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    AGS FCS Champion

Talk of adding football at VCU.

From today's Richmond Times Dispatch.

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/sports...0-28-0078.html
    Go Tribe!

AGS FCS Champion

Re: Talk of adding football at VCU.

If VCU adds football, does George Mason follow?

Quote Originally Posted by MplsBison View Post
    If VCU adds football, does George Mason follow?
    I believe Mason already has a club level football team and have been rumored to want to move up in the past. Can Virginia really support all these football schools?
    http://www.anygivensaturday.com/foru...achmentid=3795

"Nobody. And I mean nobody comes into our house and pushes us around! ... well except JMU"

Quote Originally Posted by andy7171 View Post
    I believe Mason already has a club level football team and have been rumored to want to move up in the past. Can Virginia really support all these football schools?
    My guess is brass at UVA and Va Tech privately work against this move by potential competitors, UNC-Ch and UNC-Raleigh worked very hard for UNC-C to not get a team.

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Appstate29 View Post
    My guess is brass at UVA and Va Tech privately work against this move by potential competitors, UNC-Ch and UNC-Raleigh worked very hard for UNC-C to not get a team.
    Sorry, but that's just silly.
    Go Tribe!

VT and (especially) UVA won't have much if any say on whether VCU gets a football team or not. VCU is their own driving force. Actually you could make the claim that JMU, ODU, and VCU have just about as much clout and pull as UVA or VT.

I don't think its silly, ask any UNC-C grad what they think about UNC-CH's thoughts on their getting football. Maybe I'm looking at it from too much of a business perspective, but if VCU (and GMU) add football as a varsity support, that is only bad news for VPI and UVA. More competition for fans and recruits. VA already has more than enough FCS programs they can schedule. I don't know VA as well as NC, but I doubt VCU JMU and ODU have anywhere near the clout UVA and VPI have, and if they are as worried about those teams adding as I would be, they will use it.

I don't think its silly, ask any UNC-C grad what they think about UNC-CH's thoughts on their getting football. Maybe I'm looking at it from too much of a business perspective, but if VCU (and GMU) add football as a varsity support, that is only bad news for VPI and UVA. More competition for fans and recruits. VA already has more than enough FCS programs they can schedule. I don't know VA as well as NC, but I doubt VCU JMU and ODU have anywhere near the clout UVA and VPI have, and if they are as worried about those teams adding as I would be, they will use it.
    You don't know much about Virginia football then. Thats the great thing about being a Commonwealth. UVA and VT have close to zilch say on what VCU will do. Trust me. VCU's immediate threat is its own alumni base possibly being split on whether to add football or not.

My Team
    North Carolina Central

Yep. Anytime you have former UNC System presidents speaking against the decision, you know it's not popular with the 'flagship' universities. I wonder if VSU, Richmond, and VUU alumni will get involved as well? They may look to undermine building permits and stadium construction.

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by andy7171 View Post
    Sure! It just means Towson won't get anymore VA recruits.
    Go Tribe!