Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: North Alabama To The OVC?

AGS FCS Champion Lehigh Football Nation's Avatar

North Alabama To The OVC?

Looks like the OVC has someone on their shopping list already now that Samford is gone...

http://www.championshipsubdivisionne...&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

The Lions have had success in Division II through the years, most notably with three football and two men’s basketball national championships.

The presentation outlined how UNA compares to other schools in the Gulf South Conference, top Division II programs nationwide and to Division I schools that participate in the Ohio Valley Conference and Southland Conference.

When compared to the top 10 football-playing schools in Division II, UNA’s athletic budget of $4.03 million is 29 percent below the average $5.67 million budget. UNA’s budget ranked second in the Gulf South Conference, behind Delta State.

Williams said UNA would need to raise its athletic budget to at least the Ohio Valley Conference of $7.4 million to be competitive in Division I.
    OVC, right? Or is it close enough to the SLC's footprint to warrant discussion about going there?

Discuss.
    Follow me on Twitter (User Name LFN)

The
    Time
    Is
    Now

First Class FCS Ruler Purple Pride's Avatar

Re: North Alabama To The OVC?

They've always complained about traveling to the Arkansas schools in the GSC. I wouldn't think they'd be interested at all in traveling to Texas, or any of the Southland schools for that matter.
    I spent half of my money on drugs, women, and whiskey. The other half, I wasted.

Smile Re: North Alabama To The OVC?

Quote Originally Posted by Lehigh Football Nation View Post
    Looks like the OVC has someone on their shopping list already now that Samford is gone...

http://www.championshipsubdivisionne...&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

OVC, right? Or is it close enough to the SLC's footprint to warrant discussion about going there?

Discuss.
    These few lines in the article says it all. they will go to the OVC if they go at all

The proposal pointed out several UNA strengths that would make a move to Division I easier. Among those strengths are the tradition of the program, the support and size of the community, institutional support, good facilities and membership interest from the Ohio Valley Conference.

Williams also pointed out that a move to Division I would allow UNA to renew rivalries with teams such as Jacksonville State, Troy and Alabama A&M, which would almost certainly increase ticket sales.

“UNA doesn’t really have a big rival now that most of the old GSC teams have gone Division I,” Williams said. “When I played at UNA, the Jacksonville State game was huge. With Samford leaving, the OVC is looking for another team and UNA would be a great fit geographically for the conference.”
    Old Times There Are Not Forgotten.
    Jax State 49 Ole Miss 48

I do not think we'll see them head to the Southland. OVC makes more sense. If the SLC goes anywhere outside of Texas-Louisiana-Arkansas, it'd be into Mississippi or Oklahoma. As the article notes, they got some teams in the OVC that would be better fits rival-wise.
    -The Terror-

I think the OVC is very much a possibility, but it would be several years down the road seeing as how they can't even start the transitional process until at least 2011.
    "Let's let'em know right now at the beginning of the game that they're playing EKU, and they're gonna get the hell knocked out of them right off the bat!"

--Former EKU coach Roy Kidd

http://static.flickr.com/46/163085795_b43cb8ce0c.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Gamecocks99 View Post
    Williams also pointed out that a move to Division I would allow UNA to renew rivalries with teams such as Jacksonville State, Troy and Alabama A&M, which would almost certainly increase ticket sales.[/B]
    With the advent of the new "no 1-AA teams" rule in the SBC, I doubt that Troy will be in their sights.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you can't be a good example, be a terrible warning.
    http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o.../Network10.gif
    http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/2579/network5rt0.gif

Big Brother LIVES!
    http://www.myspace.com/avidmarc

First Class FCS Ruler dakotadan's Avatar
    My Team
    North Dakota

I'm sure the fact that South Alabama is adding football may make a few more boosters push the idea.
    DI Men's Hockey National Champions
    1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

DII Women's Basketball National Champions
    1997, 1998, 1999
    DII Football National Champions

Quote Originally Posted by Killtoppers90 View Post
    With the advent of the new "no 1-AA teams" rule in the SBC, I doubt that Troy will be in their sights.
    The article is about their athletics program moving to Division I...that woudl affect a lot of sports other than just I-AA football.
    "Let's let'em know right now at the beginning of the game that they're playing EKU, and they're gonna get the hell knocked out of them right off the bat!"

--Former EKU coach Roy Kidd

http://static.flickr.com/46/163085795_b43cb8ce0c.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Killtoppers90 View Post
    They could still play Troy without being FBS or in the Sun Belt. Maybe not in football every year, but I imagine they would face off in every other sport yearly.

I see the OVC as a good fit for UNA from a travel and member mix standpoint.

UNA has nice facilities from what I've seen and heard about, they are committed to winning, and they are in a nice (albeit somewhat secluded) area.
    http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/2171/wobaryx7.png www.terrierfans.com
    Wofford Terriers - 119 Years of Football
    Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007
    I-AA/FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008
    I-AA National Semifinalist - 2003
    D-II Playoffs - 1990, 1991
    NAIA National Finalist - 1970
    SC Little Four Conference Champions - 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1954, 1956, 1957, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964
    Cigar Bowl Participant - 1950
    "There's a right way, a wrong way, and the Wofford Way"