Quote Originally Posted by DetroitFlyer View Post
Absolute rubbish. The reason for the current situation is the Dayton Flyers! Last season, we finished ranked in the top 25 in some FCS polls and were rumored to be in the playoff discussions, ( although I seriously doubt that rumor ). We defeated the PL champion, on their home field. Is there anyone who can clearly demonstrate that our program is not a legitimate, FCS program? Ask Fordham or Albany if we were a legitimate FCS team. Yeah, that Albany that prides itself in playing so many "real" FCS teams.... 2007 is also not the first time the Flyers have been ranked in FCS at the end of the season. We also did it in 1996 and 1997!

This is just more FBS wannabee talk. If you do not wish to be part of a diverse division, man up and provide 85 full athletic scholarships, get 15K fans to each home game and join your fantasy world of FBS. Pretty simple if you ask me, otherwise, quit your moaning! This division would be worlds better if all of the FBS wannabees and pretenders, ( and you know who you are ), would get off the pot and move to FBS.
Sure non-scholly teams can field a good, maybe even great team now and again. But there is a reason San Diego didn't make the playoffs, and they had arguably one of the bet non-scholly teams in the last several years. The fact is, if you put a non-scholly team into one of the power conferences, things are going to change. I mean the Bobcats beat CU a few years ago, I'm not naive enough to think we would be a decent team in the Big XII.

Face it, non-scholly teams are always looking to prove themselves, which makes them dangerous when they play a big time FCS opponent. Same thing when FCS teams play FBS teams.

I don't see whats wrong with not wanting a division of football that runs the gambit from the full allotment of scholarships to absolutely zero scholarships.