My Team
    Central Connecticut State

NEC pushing for postseason bowl game

Monmouth unhappy with lack of opportunity to play in bowl game
    Published in the Asbury Park Press 09/29/05

BY TONY GRAHAM
    STAFF WRITER

In search of a football postseason.

That remains the unfulfilled quest of the Northeast Conference, of which Monmouth University is a member, in its bid to land a postseason bowl game for at least one of its eight football-playing schools.

According to NEC Commissioner John Iamarino, nothing will happen until 2007 at the earliest. And that's not exactly etched in stone either.

The MAAC's withdrawal from the ECAC Bowl after the 2003 season, when NEC co-champion Monmouth bowed to MAAC winner Duquesne, left the NEC champion high and dry regarding a postseason bowl or playoff opportunity.

Iamarino said an NEC application to the NCAA and subsequent appeals for an automatic berth in the Division I-AA football playoffs have been rejected.

Now, according to Iamarino, the latest idea is for playoffs among the three limited or non-scholarship leagues: the NEC, the MAAC and the Pioneer League, which currently conducts its own internal playoffs. A similar plan for the NEC never got off the ground.

"We would hope something could be in place for 2007," Iamarino said. "On a very peripheral basis there would be a two-week, four-team playoff perhaps with each of the (three) conferences getting an automatic (bid) and then a committee selecting a wild card.

"Then you play at home sites, you seed the teams and have 1 play 4 and 2 play 3 and go from there.

"But the key is going to be NCAA funding. For a school in our league, let's say to have to make two trips to play teams from the Pioneer League which would be very cost prohibitive."

The nine schools in the Pioneer League range geographically from Dayton, Ohio, to Jacksonville, Fla., to San Diego.

"There has been discussions among people in the NCAA and among (league) commissioners of trying to put this together. But there are a lot of different hoops we have to jump through."

Iamarino noted: "And there are some people out there who say, "Why are we creating another championship for football when we already have one in I-AA?'

Exactly, why would you make another championship game in 1-AA?

The money spent could be used to promote the 1-AA Championship game on a Saturday instead of Friday night.
    BIRDS FLY IN FLOCKS, EAGLES SOAR ALONE

My Team
    James Madison
    Quote Originally Posted by Eaglegus2
    Exactly, why would you make another championship game in 1-AA?

The money spent could be used to promote the 1-AA Championship game on a Saturday instead of Friday night.
    Just so Ralph doesn't bitch at you, it's I-AA.
    B.A. University of Virginia, 2009
    M.A. James Madison University, 2011
    Harrisonburg native -- Go Dukes!

Iamarino said an NEC application to the NCAA and subsequent appeals for an automatic berth in the Division I-AA football playoffs have been rejected.
    As they should be IMO. Wouldn't be fair to the teams that put money into football and play a schedule worthy of a bid.

Now, according to Iamarino, the latest idea is for playoffs among the three limited or non-scholarship leagues: the NEC, the MAAC and the Pioneer League, which currently conducts its own internal playoffs. A similar plan for the NEC never got off the ground.
    Now THAT's a great idea!

Does anyone know why there isn't overwhelming support for this plan?

There's exactly one team on the West coast that could potentially participate- San Diego. By and large, the majority of teams participating in this sort of playoff would be teams in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast participating. Would it really be that cost-prohibitive to have Drake, Valpo or J'ville participate? Come on.

FCS Ruler
    Quote Originally Posted by henfan
    Does anyone know why there isn't overwhelming support for this plan?

There's exactly one team on the West coast that could potentially participate- San Diego. By and large, the majority of teams participating in this sort of playoff would be teams in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast participating. Would it really be that cost-prohibitive to have Drake, Valpo or J'ville participate? Come on.
    I'd say views like that expressed by 89hen are being given some attention. However, those views do not give adequate weight to the fact that this whole problem exists, due not to the actions of these schools, but due to the actions of the NCAA in mandating Div I schools play all their sports at the divisional level. IMHO, the NCAA has to step up and fix the problem, by providing these schools the "real"opportunity for post season play the NCAA took away. As many have pointed out, the chance for the NS I-AA teams to make it into the I-AA playoffs is nil.

My Team
    I agree that its the NCAA fault, so they should help fix it.

Second, Delaware fans and those from other A-10 schools, please do not compare the the top mid-majors like Monmouth, San Diego, or CCSU to the A-10. Its just not fair. Without kissing up to you all, we all know that the worst A-10 team, (sorry Towson) is still a big notch ahead of our best. The A-10 conference is too deep and powerfull, period. It is clearly comparable to the I-A Sun Belt in many ways.

However, I again ask you to compare us to the weakest auto-bids conferences (MEAC or OVC), or other lower-tier scholarships conference (Big South or SWAC).

The question isn't can we compete with best of the crop, but how do we compare with other eligible teams and conferences. I'd like to see more matchups between these team to see how we compare. I mean is there that much of a competive difference between:

Monmouth and Delaware State
    San Diego and Princeston
    Central Conn and Alabama A & M
    Marist and Samford

Quote Originally Posted by aceinthehole
    The question isn't can we compete with best of the crop, but how do we compare with other eligible teams and conferences. I'd like to see more matchups between these team to see how we compare. I mean is there that much of a competive difference between:

San Diego and Princeston
    Marist and Samford
    You've actually picked two schools (Princeton and Alabama A&M) that don't participate in the playoffs. But if you're comparing yourself to the bottom of the lowest conferences that get autos, you're not making much of a case to get an auto IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by aceinthehole
    I agree that its the NCAA fault, so they should help fix it.

Second, Delaware fans and those from other A-10 schools, please do not compare the the top mid-majors like Monmouth, San Diego, or CCSU to the A-10. Its just not fair. Without kissing up to you all, we all know that the worst A-10 team, (sorry Towson) is still a big notch ahead of our best. The A-10 conference is too deep and powerfull, period. It is clearly comparable to the I-A Sun Belt in many ways.

However, I again ask you to compare us to the weakest auto-bids conferences (MEAC or OVC), or other lower-tier scholarships conference (Big South or SWAC).

San Diego and Princeston
    Marist and Samford
    Then get on with it and start scheduling and beating teams from those conferences you think are the weakest auto-bid leagues and then you'll get more than enough support from me. No one is saying the NEC or their like needs to beat Montana in Missoula regularly to prove they deserve an auto-bid, but you need to beat somebody else than who you're beating now. CCSU beating Colgate was a start, but since then we've seen that Colgate isn't very good. And besides, it's just one game. Monmouth and Albany are among the schools supposedly making strides to get closer to the scholly IAA level, but they still get destroyed by any good IAA team they play. It's not going to happen overnight but following what CCU has done this year may be a start - they play in a dreadful conference and could never hope to get in just playing that level of competition, so at least they scheduled 2 really good schools (and beat one) and 1 other school (SCSt) a little below them (I know what the rankings are but I think App St and JMU are better than SC St) and if they win 2 out of 3 of those then they're probably in the playoffs. But you need to schedule the games and then you need to win most of them - that's how it works.
    Proud Member of the Fightin' Blue Hen Nation

My Team
    Quote Originally Posted by 89Hen
    As they should be IMO. Wouldn't be fair to the teams that put money into football and play a schedule worthy of a bid.

Now THAT's a great idea!
    yes, but ...

Iamarino noted: "And there are some people out there who say, "Why are we creating another championship for football when we already have one in I-AA?'