Thread: FCS/G5 Draft Results and the portal

My Team
    Chattanooga

FCS/G5 Draft Results and the portal

I have a theory that if you are good enough to play in the NFL the plethora of scouts will find you no matter where you play. Just ask Jerry Rice or Terrell Owens, or the kid that got drafted out of D2 Finley this year. If you can play...you can play!!!!

So as I scroll through the draft results, 215 of the 257 spots were from P5 schools. About 30 came from G5 schools and the rest were FCS or lower...so, thinking about the portal and the FCS kids that take off for bigger and better at a G5 schools...it may not be a wise choice. No doubt the FBS schools are raiding the top level at FCS schools. The stories I hear is that many coaches are using the enticement of "NFL exposure"... so, looking at the numbers from the draft...I just don't think that carrot that they are dangling has any real weight at a G5 school (and reality is that is where the FCS kids are landing).
    I just don't think the numbers support the claim that you will get better NFL exposure at a G5 school. Maybe when you add in UDFAs or retained on the 53, it changes...but if the numbers are anything like the draft...NOPE!!! If you are an FCS kid and you aren't getting P5 offers, it's probably best just to stay put and let the scouts find you. Thoughts?
    I STILL HATE MARSHALL!​ Every time I see that movie, I root for Xavier!!!!!!!

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    Delaware

Re: FCS/G5 Draft Results and the portal

You make a tremendous amount of sense

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    Harvard, ETSU, St. Thomas, UC Davis, Chicago, MIT

Most of the G5 is lost in translation. Their football programs are struggling to attract fans... for most of them.
    Will FCS football survive the mess created by the NIL saga?

---
    AGS Countdown Maven since 2019
    AGS Schedule Maven since 2022

My Team
    Delaware

Quote Originally Posted by Milktruck74 View Post
    ...I just don't think that carrot that they are dangling has any real weight at a G5 school (and reality is that is where the FCS kids are landing). I just don't think the numbers support the claim that you will get better NFL exposure at a G5 school. Maybe when you add in UDFAs or retained on the 53, it changes...but if the numbers are anything like the draft...NOPE!!! If you are an FCS kid and you aren't getting P5 offers, it's probably best just to stay put and let the scouts find you. Thoughts?
    Perhaps the correct carrot is that G5 MIGHT get better exposure to P5 for a potential second transfer, which may lead to increased exposure to the NFL. Otherwise, the G5s are just restocking the pantry when their players transfer to P5s and it has become easier to convince FCS players to "move up" than to do any actual recruiting or coaching.

My Team
    Chattanooga

Quote Originally Posted by OhioHen View Post
    Perhaps the correct carrot is that G5 MIGHT get better exposure to P5 for a potential second transfer, which may lead to increased exposure to the NFL. Otherwise, the G5s are just restocking the pantry when their players transfer to P5s and it has become easier to convince FCS players to "move up" than to do any actual recruiting or coaching.
    So maybe the NCAA should look at reclassification to Rookie League, A, AA, AAA, and Majors....since we have all become relegated to a farm league!!!
    I STILL HATE MARSHALL!​ Every time I see that movie, I root for Xavier!!!!!!!