Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Latest NCAA Rule changes

My Team
    Montana State

Re: Latest NCAA Rule changes

Quote Originally Posted by POD Knows View Post
    Get rid of that too, I don't think any other sport that is on a clock has that sort of "made up" kind of stuff. Does basketball take the shot clock down to 15 seconds in the last couple minutes?
    I don't watch a bunch of pumpkin pushing, but doesn't the clock stop until the ball is inbounded near the end of the game but not for the rest of it? Maybe the end of the half also? I swear the clock typically runs after made buckets, but definitely know it stops until inbounded close to the end, which is why OUR playoff games scheduled after a meaningless MAC Nov/Dec game get bumped to ESPNews when the last 45 secs of the bouncy ball somehow takes 7 hours and 23 minutes.

AGS Circle of Influence Member
    My Team
    Dunder Mifflin

Quote Originally Posted by MSUBobcat View Post
    I don't watch a bunch of pumpkin pushing, but doesn't the clock stop until the ball is inbounded near the end of the game but not for the rest of it? Maybe the end of the half also? I swear the clock typically runs after made buckets, but definitely know it stops until inbounded close to the end, which is why OUR playoff games scheduled after a meaningless MAC Nov/Dec game get bumped to ESPNews when the last 45 secs of the bouncy ball somehow takes 7 hours and 23 minutes.
    Last minute of each half in college the clock stops after every made basket. It runs the rest of the game.

You get less time on the shot clock after an offensive rebound than the standard shot clock.

That isn't new, and it's not why your game took forever. Without knowing the game I'd bet it was a large number of fouls. Probably tight game late and fouling to extend the game with free throws.

Average, non OT and non close game foul to extend, game is still less than 2 hours total.

Going over 2 hours means there was a hell of a lot of whistles unrelated to a handful of made baskets in the final minute of either half.

My Team
    Delaware

Quote Originally Posted by POD Knows View Post
    Get rid of that too, I don't think any other sport that is on a clock has that sort of "made up" kind of stuff. Does basketball take the shot clock down to 15 seconds in the last couple minutes?
    No, but the clock begins to stop on a made basket in the last minute.

Also in college women's basketball (and the NBA?) calling a timeout after a made basket in the last minute means you can inbound the ball at midcourt instead of having to go the length of the court.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - B. Franklin

The Nickelback of AGS

My Team
    North Dakota State

Quote Originally Posted by clenz View Post
    Last minute of each half in college the clock stops after every made basket. It runs the rest of the game.

You get less time on the shot clock after an offensive rebound than the standard shot clock.

That isn't new, and it's not why your game took forever. Without knowing the game I'd bet it was a large number of fouls. Probably tight game late and fouling to extend the game with free throws.

Average, non OT and non close game foul to extend, game is still less than 2 hours total.

Going over 2 hours means there was a hell of a lot of whistles unrelated to a handful of made baskets in the final minute of either half.
    Thanks for the correction on my post, I literally did not know what the answer was, and I now disagree with the basketball clock management, it is all arbitrary and stupid.
    “What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms.”– Thomas Jefferson

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    Harvard, ETSU, St. Thomas, UC Davis, Chicago, MIT

From the FCS Fans Nation group:
    The NCAA Board of Governors will vote later this week on changing the seeding policy for the FCS championship tournament to seed 16 teams. (proof: https://herosports.com/fcs-more-play...colorado-bzbz/, see first topic on that page)

Also, there is a change to the transfer rules; an athlete that meets Progress Towards Degree requirements at their new school (the quick version: 40% of the credits needed after 2 years, 60% after 3, and 80% after 4) can transfer without it counting as their one free transfer (or, if they have already used it, without sitting out a year). Also, if I am reading this right, the "graduate transfer rule" no longer requires an athlete to change their field of study to something not available at their old school (but when was that ever actually enforced - besides, as I like to say, most players did change to something not available at their previous school; a branch of mineralogy called "Ring Studies").
    Will FCS football survive the mess created by the NIL saga?

---
    AGS Countdown Maven since 2019
    AGS Schedule Maven since 2022

My Team
    Holy Cross

Quote Originally Posted by UAalum72 View Post
    Also in college women's basketball (and the NBA?) calling a timeout after a made basket in the last minute means you can inbound the ball at midcourt instead of having to go the length of the court.
    Definitely an NBA rule as well. I never liked it.