Quote Originally Posted by NY Crusader 2010 View Post
99.99% of all sports programs in the NCAA lose money. There are only a handful of athletic departments as a whole that aren't in the red. I wonder what the end-game is for the Dartmouth basketball team and what they hope to accomplish with their union. There's no revenue to share. As pointed out, the university loses hundreds of thousands every year so that these young men can live out their dream of playing Division I basketball while receiving a world-class education...an education that might not have been available to them without basketball.

I would imagine the goal of any collective bargaining in this case would be to:

- Set boundaries as far as number of hours can be devoted to team activities and/or times of day that staff can/cannot schedule meetings practices or lifts
- Health benefits
- FCOA (I'm sure Dartmouth never provided this)
- Obviously NCAA still doesn't allow schools to outright pay players so an institutional paycheck is out of the question, but perhaps the union could force the school to provide resources to assist players with whatever NIL deals might be available.

They also could try to negotiate things like meal quality, access to better facilities and travel accommodations but again not sure what leverage union would have given that the school has budget constraints for athletics without revenue to offset.
While your list of collective bargaining goals is nice, none of this is about achieving those goals. This is purely about getting a pay check on top of their scholarship. They want spending money.

Besides, couldn't those goals be addressed by the team/team captain with the coach and the AD without having to pay the AFL-CIO dues? I remember when a group of players went to our coach because practices were running late and the cafe was closed before many of us could get there...Well, it was taken care of...and we did not get to leave practice early...but it was addressed and the issue of not being able to eat was taken care of. We didn't need a union rep to handle it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DFW HOYA View Post
FWIW, labor cases don't care at all whether a company makes money or not.

TRUTH...