Thread: MVFC Megathread: 2024 Edition

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    AGS Circle of Influence Member
    My Team
    Dunder Mifflin

Re: MVFC Megathread: 2024 Edition

Quote Originally Posted by SDFS View Post
    Yes, it has a bit of a sting. I think in the long run it helps UND. It reinforces to management that the bar is exceptional high in the Valley. And they need to commit toward the program at a Championship Level because they are competing against championship level programs: SDSU, NDSU, YSU, SIU. And that list of champions does not include ISU, USD and UNI programs that perform very well on the field. This is just the conference.
    Hold up

YSU and SIU get "championship level" tags because they won a title 27 and 40 years ago? I guess it's technically correct, but damn what a bar to set.

Idaho State is also a championship level program to strive to be as well then. Big goals.

As for my thoughts on Fruechte? I have none. He was at UNI for about 8 months, 9 if we are super generous on dates. He was also hired because he was an uppermidwest kid, we needed a cheap/damn near free coach, and it was like March/April. We weren't a great offense, at all, but that wasn't his doing. He coached WR and because injuries crushed that 2019 we had 17 different players catch a pass and by playoffs had OTs playing TE and LBs playing OL. His job as a WR coach was easy enough as we had Isaiah Weston, who averaged 25 YPR. It was "Weston, run a fly and Moss rule it. If you're even you're open. After that I need the TE to run a route somewhere in the 7-10 yard route and the other WR to run something on the other side of the field to draw safety help."

I wouldn't put much in his ability to coordinate special teams either - 5 yards per punt return and a massive 15 on kick returns.

No opinion either way on him. It was also 6 years ago by this fall, so a ton has changed with him anyway I'd bet.
    Last edited by clenz; January 30th, 2024 at 10:08 AM.