Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NCAA President calls for new tier of Division I where schools can pay athletes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    My Team
    South Dakota State

NCAA President calls for new tier of Division I where schools can pay athletes

Not sure if this is appropriate for the regular FCS sub, but it will most definitely impact the FCS so I put it here. Move it if it is not appropriate.

https://apnews.com/article/ncaa-bake...fea7167026dbe6

LAS VEGAS (AP) — NCAA President Charlie Baker announced Tuesday that he wants the organization to create a new tier of Division I athletics where schools with the most resources can offer unlimited educational benefits, enter into name, image and likeness partnerships with athletes and directly pay them through a trust fund.

In a letter sent to more than 350 Division I schools, Baker said the disparity in resources between the wealthiest schools in the Football Bowl Subdivision and other DI members — along with the hundreds of Division II and III schools — is creating “a new series of challenges.”

Division I is currently divided into the FBS and FCS (Football Championship Subdivision). Baker’s proposal is aimed at creating a new subdivision where schools in the so-called Power Five conferences — the Big Ten, Southeastern Conference, Big 12, Atlantic Coast Conference and Pac-12 — can operate.

Baker noted that athletic budgets in Division I range from $5 million and $250 million annually, with 59 schools spending over $100 million annually and another 32 spending over $50 million. He said 259 Division I schools, however, spend less than $50 million on their athletic programs.

He said schools in a new tier of Division I should be allowed, while staying compliant with Title IX, to “invest at least $30,000 per year into an enhanced educational trust fund for at least half of the institution’s eligible student-athletes.”

My Team
    Chattanooga

Re: NCAA President calls for new tier of Division I where schools can pay athletes

Unlimited rosters, coaching positions and a guaranteed payroll for players. What next?

AGS FCS Champion

Re: NCAA President calls for new tier of Division I where schools can pay athletes

How would this stop the poaching that's happening now?

Major FCS Ruler
    My Team
    Youngstown State

This will separate P5 from G5 too

My Team
    North Alabama

Quote Originally Posted by The Yo Show View Post
    This will separate P5 from G5 too
    Absolutely. It basically makes FCS the new D2 for football, except now all of our school's other programs will be playing for championships against this new subdivision's paid players. I mean, they already do, but it will be more organized and not just for the top players (with today's NIL reality) but 50% of players at each school. It will also have to include at least 50% of that for women's players for Title IV purposes.

From this article:

The new subdivision will remain under the umbrella of the NCAA, and its members will continue to compete for NCAA championships with others in Division I. Under the proposal, the NCAA maintains oversight of the existing national championship model across all Division I sports, except FBS football, which continues to operate under the rubric of the College Football Playoff, Baker writes in the letter.

Schools in the new subdivision would also gain control of decision-making around scholarship limits and countable coaches, the NCAA's way of handing major conference programs the freedom to increase the limits or do away with them altogether.

The model “gives the educational institutions with the most visibility, the most financial resources and the biggest brands an opportunity to choose to operate with a different set of rules that more accurately reflect their scale and their operating model,” he writes.

https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa-propos...145051537.html
    ROAR LIONS!

Major FCS Ruler
    My Team
    Youngstown State

Well guys, college football as we knew it is now dead.

On the Breast of Old South Mountain
    My Team
    Lehigh

Yep, thought it was dying for years. I don't think I watched a complete FBS game this year. A number of my friends feel the same. The sense that I am not watching students playing football, but mercenaries in the NFL minor league. NCAA close up shop. You are irrelevant.
    LEHIGH WILL SHINE TONIGHT, LEHIGH WILL SHINE!
    Patriot League Champions: 1993, 1995, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2010, 2011, 2016, 2017
    NCAA Playoff Appearances: D-II 1973, 1975, 1977 NCAA Champions
    D-IAA 1979 (Finalist), 1980, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2016, 2017

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    The Citadel

Quote Originally Posted by ngineer View Post
    Yep, thought it was dying for years. I don't think I watched a complete FBS game this year. A number of my friends feel the same. The sense that I am not watching students playing football, but mercenaries in the NFL minor league. NCAA close up shop. You are irrelevant.
    ^^^
    This, big time. It's just not enjoyable anymore. I watched a few FBS games with my dad for very specific games, but nothing like we used to. I watched FCS games ten times more at least. It isn't the same and they don't realize how they will hurt the sport and the "student" athletes in the end. These people simply do not understand the allure of amateur competition. It's why I stopped watching nearly all of the Olympics a long time ago as well.
    FIRE THOSE CANNONS!

AGS FCS Expert
    My Team
    VMI

Not FCS, but related to this thread. And it's 250% accurate.

From Football Scoop:

Boston College head coach Jeff Hafley is leaving the program to become the defensive coordinator of the Green Bay Packers, according to a report Wednesday from ESPN.
    “He wants to go coach football again in a league that is all about football,” a source close to Hafley told ESPN. “College coaching has become fundraising, NIL and recruiting your own team and transfers. There’s no time to coach football anymore."
    1-AA is tops!!

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    Delaware

Quote Originally Posted by kdinva View Post
    Not FCS, but related to this thread. And it's 250% accurate.

From Football Scoop:

Boston College head coach Jeff Hafley is leaving the program to become the defensive coordinator of the Green Bay Packers, according to a report Wednesday from ESPN.
    “He wants to go coach football again in a league that is all about football,” a source close to Hafley told ESPN. “College coaching has become fundraising, NIL and recruiting your own team and transfers. There’s no time to coach football anymore."
    maybe they should just institute the draft…..