Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: D2 wins are no longer non-counters

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

D2 wins are no longer non-counters

Sam Herder has an article coming out today discussing this very thing most of us preached for years. If someone will post the article when it drops it will be great.

This only means they won’t automatically throw out a D2 win. I would assume the consensus of the committee will remain the same, as not everyone pads their record with a D2 win. They try to keep the language as vague as possible.

This information should be talked about by coaches. Idaho replaced a D2 game with a FCS this year to help get in the playoffs

Not a good direction to go. This could lead to less OOC FCS games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts"

"I will shoot your liver out and hand it to you" Earl "The Pearl" Strickland

FCS Ruler
    My Team
    South Dakota State

Re: D2 wins are no longer non-counters

I'm a Lumberjack and I'm OK

I was using a Montana brain when I first posted
    Last edited by dbackjon; October 11th, 2023 at 03:24 PM.

D2 wins are no longer non-counters

Quote Originally Posted by dbackjon View Post
    Why is it not a good direction to go?

Shouldn't it lead to more OOC FCS Games?
    I t will lead to more D2 games, less OOC FCS

Top FCS Ruler
    My Team
    North Dakota State University

Quote Originally Posted by robsnotes4u View Post
    While this is likely true, there has been discussion on this forum about how top D2 teams are better than half the FCS, and in some cases, might even be able to be ranked top 25 in the FCS.

The teams that will increase D2 scheduling are likely going to be the ones where discussing a D2 game as a counter/non-counter will be a moot point. Also, since FCS playoff selection occurs at the end of the D2 regular season and one week into their playoffs, it seems likely that there will be a pretty good idea about any FCS vs. D2 game of any significance.

Just like it is discussed on this forum what constitutes a good/bad FBS win/loss, I am not sure why this doesn't/shouldn't apply to a good/bad D2 win/loss.

I'm a Lumberjack and I'm OK

Quote Originally Posted by robsnotes4u View Post

You are right - misread the title - thought it was going the other direction.

AGS FCS Champion

This is nothing new in terms of how the committee treats D2 games (or at least how the NCAA championship handbook says they're supposed to treat D2 games). It says that less than 6 (used to be 7) D1 wins may place a team in jeopardy of not making the field and that teams that play a full D1 schedule may be given more consideration for playoff selection and it's been worded that way for years.

See this post from 2019 which says the exact same thing: https://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?238904
    Professor Chaos is a proud supporter of the 9-time NCAA Division 1 Football National Champion North Dakota State Bison.

AGS Circle of Influence Member
    My Team
    Dunder Mifflin

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    This is nothing new in terms of how the committee treats D2 games (or at least how the NCAA championship handbook says they're supposed to treat D2 games). It says that less than 6 (used to be 7) D1 wins may place a team in jeopardy of not making the field and that teams that play a full D1 schedule may be given more consideration for playoff selection and it's been worded that way for years.

See this post from 2019 which says the exact same thing: https://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?238904
    Thank you for brining this back.

I was pretty sure we had this as a known thing for years and had many conversations about the changing in the language to "may" and "half counters" and all of that other ****. I didn't realize this was still a question.

My Team
    Montana State

How many people were under the impression that they were non-counters?? I believe that the selection committee absolutely factors them in to SOS, just as they do with a Pioneer team, for example. Were there really people out there thinking that if Team A plays a virtually identical schedule to team B, except Team A played, say... 2x defending champ Ferris State while Team B played Valpo, that Team B is getting in because VALPO is a DIINO (DI in name only) and Ferris State is DII, even though Ferris would curb stomp Valpo? While the writer of the Vandal press release clearly doesn't understand, I didn't necessarily read into it that the AD and Coach Eck didn't understand. I read it to mean they understand that, in general, an all-DI schedule probably helps them solidify a playoff berth more than having a DII game so their policy going forward is to schedule only DI games whenever possible. MSU has also made that move over the years. The Bobcats played down from 2006-2016, every year. We haven't played one since, and there's none on the schedule thru 2025 (last year with OOC games included on the website).

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post

As the article states, this isn't common knowledge by coaches, ADs and the media.

Around 2014 Troy Dannen and I had this discussion, and at that time they were non-counters. I had similar conversations with Gene Taylor over lunch when I supplied him and the coaches vehicles.