In the Year of the Upset, memorable moments were plentiful
ESPN.com

Mark Schlabach: My favorite memory of the 2007 college football season was one of the first moments. While covering Virginia Tech's Sept. 1 opener against East Carolina, I noticed Michigan was struggling against Division I-AA Appalachian State at Michigan Stadium. The Appalachian State campus was about 2½ hours away in the North Carolina mountains, but I wasn't about to miss the aftermath of one of the greatest upsets in college football history. When the Mountaineers completed their shocker over the Wolverines, I hit the road. The party was just beginning when I arrived in Boone at 7 p.m. I met two Appalachian State students outside a bar. They were my campus guides the rest of the night. They showed me how students had torn down the goal posts in Appalachian State's stadium and dragged them across campus to the front yard of the chancellor's home. Several hours later, the football team returned to Boone in several buses. There were hundreds of fans waiting at the football complex. It's a scene I'll never forget.