Quote Originally Posted by The Cats View Post
I don't think any teams in the Pioneer have the dollars that Davidson has. Davidson's endowment is $1.3 billion... They can afford any scholarships they want to give, lots of money each year comes from the Duke Endowment... Davidson gets 5% of the Duke payout each year (...as does Furman).
Yeah, but there are also academic requirements to getting those scholarships. For most of them, it's to a 3.0 and many many many college athletes can't swing that for whatever reason. After all, i think NCAA minimum standards are like 2.3. Many teams have collective GPAs well below 3.0, I know of at least one school that published they had team record high GPAs of like 2.8something a couple years ago. That's not a crack on that school, I would bet most schools in the Socon have that average, including my own (because college is hard!).

My cousin was recruited to play D3, which is what you're describing with allocated academic scholarships, but it all came with strings attached, and he was only recruited as a preferred walk on at a big south school. The players who are being pursued for these kind of set ups are just not the same as scholarship athletes.