Quote Originally Posted by The Cats View Post
no, just lots more wiggling... You're a lot like fubear in that respect, never admit you got something wrong. Like the final "faded down the stretch" - that's pure fubear speak...

...and trust me, that's not a complement.
Our OL is going to improve over the course of the year. We're just beat up, sick, suspended, and if not those things, young. But thankfully none of those things is forever. I admitted I was wrong about it multiple times. Don't know why you think that I said otherwise. I basically took the press clippings about returning starters on face value, and well, that was dumb.

As for fading down the stretch, I remember 2017 and I'm still bitter, because it hurt the whole SoCon (and Wofford by extension, robbing us of a quality win, which may have improved our seeding)

As for Western Carolina, I saw the first 50 minutes or so of the Samford game, and that was all I needed to see. I was really impressed with Western, and I think if they win next week against EKU, they'll make the playoffs. They cover really well, and contrary to what I've been saying up to this point, they tackle really well too. Most of the sacks that I saw were coverage sacks, not a matter of the DL completely overpowering the Samford OL, but the defensive backs playing great coverage and the Samford OL running out of time. I may be critical of teams likes Western and Samford that run the offense they do, but I'm being persuaded in the other direction. If that front 7 can have a good day against Mercer or Furman, they'll do great. I actually like their defensive style, it's a quasi 4-3 they have with one of their linebackers playing up to the line. They attacked Samford with various defensive looks and worked to perfection.

Their offense is their offense, I don't think I really need to say much more. Instead, I want to talk about Samford, because I'd be very concerned with that performance. Does Samford always run a defense with 5 DB playing 10-15 yards deep? If so, that's part of the reason why Western ran the ball so well in the first 20 minutes or so and in the fourth quarter. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to see 6 players in the box, Western's OL, and then stick a tight end in there and run the ball. I was surprised Western didn't run more in the first half, but I understood why they didn't. Samford's offense looked flat, out of sync, and mid-way through the third quarter kinda just...gave up? I don't know how to described, I turned it off because that vibe was so apparent.

If you're going to tell me one of those teams was a defending socon champ, I wouldn't presume it to be Samford. The good news for SU is they have a good coach, they've bought into their scheme, and they can catch fire again fast. I'd be very concerned about that defense and the lack of innovation during the game though.

If Western wins next week, especially if they do so convincingly, I'd put them at #1 in my power rating. Heck, if I saw the game before power ratings, I'd put them #1. And if Wofford can't win the socon or make the playoffs this year, I'll be pulling for Western to do so.