Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: United Athletic Conference

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

United Athletic Conference

Georgetown: "We play where we do not compete, and compete where we do not play."

FCS Ruler
    My Team
    South Dakota State

Re: United Athletic Conference

Not the most clever name...

I'm glad it's official and is its own independent conference. It sucks this year is still only a 6 game conference schedule, glad they are going to 8 in the future.

My Team
    North Alabama

North Alabama's entry into FCS football has sure been an adventure. I, for one, am looking forward to what I hope will be some conference stability and the development of some great rivalries. Looking forward to the future 8-9 game conference schedule in the future (seems to be the sweet spot).

Let's roll! I'm excited about this group of schools.
    "Let's let'em know right now at the beginning of the game that they're playing EKU, and they're gonna get the hell knocked out of them right off the bat!"

--Former EKU coach Roy Kidd

http://static.flickr.com/46/163085795_b43cb8ce0c.jpg

My Team
    College Football

Quote Originally Posted by EKU05 View Post
    Let's roll! I'm excited about this group of schools.
    Seriously what are you excited about. Six of the ten schools that being Stephen F Austin, UTRVG, Tarleton State, Abilene Christian, Southern Utah and Utah Tech are to far away to become legitimate rivals. My guess is this alignment lasts about as long as the A10 sponsored football (1997-2006). If and when a few schools out west (3-4) decide to leave the Big Sky and join the western schools, I think those schools will break off again at where SFA is.

The FBS dream of the WAC/ASUN/UCA was never going to happen. Even if the NCAA had approved it the IA conferences would have never agreed to give them CFP money.

If what happens in my first statement, what happens to the four remaining schools? Do they ask the OVC for entry, have Austin Peay and EKU burned that bridge?

My Team
    Western Illinois

Quote Originally Posted by BigGreenTruck View Post
    If what happens in my first statement, what happens to the four remaining schools? Do they ask the OVC for entry, have Austin Peay and EKU burned that bridge?
    I have no idea of the internal politics of the OVC, but personally (and as a "transitional" OVC fan), I'd be ecstatic if the remaining four wanted to join (back) up with the OVC.

Are there still rumors that EKU might get interest from one of the lower FBS conferences? Rumors of a big shakeup all across FBS could make it a lot more likely. Depending on how that all shakes out, CUSA or the Sun Belt might need to backfill (if they have more members poached from the higher leagues). CUSA makes a bit more sense, but WKU may not allow it. They're also right on the northern side of the Sun Belt footprint.

Even if EKU steps up to FBS, I would think the OVC would be happy to have a few more football teams in the conference so they can step back from the Big South football partnership. Austin Peay is right in the middle of the conference footprint (and obviously has history there), North Alabama is just down the road from Nashville...would add a little more travel for us, but still not bad (especially compared to the Summit for the "olympic" sports).

Central Arkansas would be similar in that it would add a little travel to the further out schools (like us and Morehead State), however...they are literally 35 minutes up the road from Arkansas-Little Rock, a non-football member of the OVC, so they would be perfect for being a travel partner with the non-football sports. Fly or drive down to Little Rock, do a game/match there, stay a day or two, then head up the road to Conway for another, before heading home.

They pick up APU, UNA, and UCA, then the OVC is at 10 football playing members and doesn't have to do the Big South football partnership anymore. If they do the schedule like the MVFC has been doing the last decade or so, 10 teams means you skip 1 conference member every pair of years, but play everyone else. 8 conference games, 3 OOC games (or 4 if in a 12-game season), and we're all set.

For basketball, they're at 14 teams. Pair up travel partners of UALR and UCA, Lindenwood and SIU-E, WIU and EIU, SEMO and UT-Martin, TN Tech and Austin Peay, TN State and UNA, and Morehead State and Southern Indiana.

Whateer happens, I do agree with you that it doesn't feel like the UAC has the makings of a solid long-term conference.
    Admin of LeatherneckNation.net
    Alumnus/Employee/Fan of Western Illinois University
    WIU Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    The Citadel

The travel aspect is not ideal. Fairly spaced out. Hard to build good rivalries when only a handful of visiting fans show up. How many fans from Utah are going to make the trip to Alabama or Kentucky? Or visa versa? Almost seems like it is a temp fix. It's likely there will be just good showings for the regional team matchups. The Utah games, the TX games and the KY, Tenn, AR games. I guess it's not much worse than the Big Sky.

Quote Originally Posted by ElCid View Post
    The travel aspect is not ideal. Fairly spaced out. Hard to build good rivalries when only a handful of visiting fans show up. How many fans from Utah are going to make the trip to Alabama or Kentucky? Or visa versa? Almost seems like it is a temp fix. It's likely there will be just good showings for the regional team matchups. The Utah games, the TX games and the KY, Tenn, AR games. I guess it's not much worse than the Big Sky.
    Well the Big Sky is definitely spaced out as well so it is possible!

I will add...I wonder if they chose "athletic" just because this conference would never be anyone's first thought if they heard the initials "UFC." Or...is it hinting, as some of us have speculated, that there is at least a possibility it becomes an all-sports conference at some undetermined point down the line.
    Last edited by EKU05; April 17th, 2023 at 04:28 PM.
    "Let's let'em know right now at the beginning of the game that they're playing EKU, and they're gonna get the hell knocked out of them right off the bat!"

--Former EKU coach Roy Kidd

http://static.flickr.com/46/163085795_b43cb8ce0c.jpg

My Team
    North Alabama

Quote Originally Posted by EKU05 View Post
    I will add...I wonder if they chose "athletic" just because this conference would never be anyone's first thought if they heard the initials "UFC." Or...is it hinting, as some of us has speculated, that there is at last a possibility it becomes an al-sports conference at some undetermined point down the line.
    I wondered the same. Probably to avoid "UFC" but ya never know...
    ROAR LIONS!