Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: An increase in the number of seeds in the FCS playoffs?

My Team
    Furman & Mercer

Re: An increase in the number of seeds in the FCS playoffs?

Quote Originally Posted by AmsterBison View Post
    If seeding was perfect, wouldn't you expect the home team to win almost all the time, given that a better team is hosting and therefore gets what most most people consider a 3pt head start?

How would you change the playoff system to make it better?
    There is a lot of data in the previous posts related to your 1st question. The average winning percentage of college football home Teams is ~63%. Other factors cause individual games to vary from that statistic. The concept of gradience is relevant as we assess data…or it should be.

Anyway…

…after much thought, FUBeAR has just about landed on the conclusion that a very, very, very unpopular fully regionalized 4 Region / 32 Team / No Byes Playoff structure (with a very unique “Final Four” event) would be best for FCS Football. He has not yet finalized his opinion on seeding methodology (if any) within the regions. Also, he has not finalized his opinion on the selection process within the regions, but if he has Committees, he would have 4 separate Committees to increase the chances that Committee Members actually had a clue about the Teams they would be charged with assessing, as they clearly do not now.
    Last edited by FUBeAR; July 14th, 2023 at 01:28 PM.
    NCAA DIVISION I MANUAL

20.10.1 Commitments to the Division I Collegiate Model
    Bylaws proposed and enacted by member institutions governing the conduct of intercollegiate athletics shall be designed to foster competition in amateur athletics

20.10.1.2 The Commitment to Amateurism
    Member institutions shall conduct their athletics programs…maintaining a line of demarcation between student-athletes who participate in the Collegiate Model and athletes competing in the professional model

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    Harvard, ETSU, St. Thomas, UC Davis, Chicago, MIT

While the offseason has been relatively quiet for most of us, the buzz to expand seeds in the FCS playoffs continues...

https://herosports.com/fcs-playoff-p...se-seeds-bzbz/
    Will FCS football survive the mess created by the NIL saga?

---
    AGS Countdown Maven since 2019
    AGS Schedule Maven since 2022

AGS FCS Champion

My Team
    YSU Penguins

Quote Originally Posted by bonarae View Post
    While the offseason has been relatively quiet for most of us, the buzz to expand seeds in the FCS playoffs continues...

https://herosports.com/fcs-playoff-p...se-seeds-bzbz/
    Uggh... already too many. Early round blowouts, good teams left out for auto bids.. This will make soccer mom happy. Everyone gets a participation trophy. Reduce the field to 16. Select the best 16 teams in the FCS. Then seed them.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk
    If stupidity was an illness liberals and dimocraps would be dead by now

Frequent FCS Advocate
    My Team
    Elon

It's not adding teams, just seeding 1-16 instead of 1-8.

My Team
    Western Illinois

Quote Originally Posted by ysubigred View Post
    Uggh... already too many. Early round blowouts, good teams left out for auto bids.. This will make soccer mom happy. Everyone gets a participation trophy. Reduce the field to 16. Select the best 16 teams in the FCS. Then seed them.

While I agree that 16 is ideal, this isn't talking about adding more spots for the tournament (like, going to 32 or something). This is just talking about taking the same number of teams, but seeding down to 16 (rather than 8 like they currently do). Currently, the first-round matchups are determined regionally and the higher bid hosts the game, with the winners then playing at one of the top 8 seeds. If they implement 16 seeds, then the top 8 get a first round bye (like we currently do), but then 9-16 will host one of the non-seeded teams for the first-round matchup, which is better for overall quality of the tournament. Teams will be playing for more...if you finish in the top 8, you get a first-round bye and get to host your first game...if you're in 9-16 you get to host your first-round game.
    Admin of LeatherneckNation.net
    Alumnus/Employee/Fan of Western Illinois University
    WIU Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000

AGS FCS Champion

My Team
    YSU Penguins

Quote Originally Posted by ST_Lawson View Post
    While I agree that 16 is ideal, this isn't talking about adding more spots for the tournament (like, going to 32 or something). This is just talking about taking the same number of teams, but seeding down to 16 (rather than 8 like they currently do). Currently, the first-round matchups are determined regionally and the higher bid hosts the game, with the winners then playing at one of the top 8 seeds. If they implement 16 seeds, then the top 8 get a first round bye (like we currently do), but then 9-16 will host one of the non-seeded teams for the first-round matchup, which is better for overall quality of the tournament. Teams will be playing for more...if you finish in the top 8, you get a first-round bye and get to host your first game...if you're in 9-16 you get to host your first-round game.
    That's what I said reduce to 16. No automatic bids. Then seed them all 16.

AGS FCS Champion

That's what I said reduce to 16. No automatic bids. Then seed them all 16.

This is the Division 1 Football Championship - that means that any D1 conference (that wants it) should get access to it. If you want to argue that the non-scholly Pioneer or partial scholly NEC shouldn't be D1 conferences I'd say that's a valid argument but if you want to determine a champion of the (sub)division you should give all willing teams in that subdivision access to the championship tournament so they can gain or lose that access on the field not in a committee boardroom. That's why automatic bids are needed.

The only teams that would benefit from a 16 team format over a 24 team format are teams #9-#16 and their chances at winning the whole thing are about as good as teams #17-#24 anyway.
    Professor Chaos is a proud supporter of the 9-time NCAA Division 1 Football National Champion North Dakota State Bison.

AGS FCS Champion

My Team
    YSU Penguins

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    This is the Division 1 Football Championship - that means that any D1 conference (that wants it) should get access to it. If you want to argue that the non-scholly Pioneer or partial scholly NEC shouldn't be D1 conferences I'd say that's a valid argument but if you want to determine a champion of the (sub)division you should give all willing teams in that subdivision access to the championship tournament so they can gain or lose that access on the field. That's why automatic bids are needed.
    As bad as YSU was last year. We destroyed one of the champ/auto bid teams. It's just ridiculous to waste the time with these games..

AGS Circle of Influence Member
    My Team
    Dunder Mifflin

As bad as YSU was last year. We destroyed one of the champ/auto bid teams. It's just ridiculous to waste the time with these games..

Then we need to remove the autobid from basketball.

Sorry, YSU. I know you're having a good year and have a 99% chance of taking the autobid from the Horizon this year but guess what? In the big picture of NCAA basketball, you, and your league, ****ing suck ****.

You no longer get to participate or get NCAA tournament TV shares.

Doesn't matter if you want to be involved and you are an NCAA team winning and NCAA league to get to the NCAA tournament.

You suck compared to most every other NCAA team so you don't get to go anymore.

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    The Citadel

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    This is the Division 1 Football Championship - that means that any D1 conference (that wants it) should get access to it. If you want to argue that the non-scholly Pioneer or partial scholly NEC shouldn't be D1 conferences I'd say that's a valid argument but if you want to determine a champion of the (sub)division you should give all willing teams in that subdivision access to the championship tournament so they can gain or lose that access on the field not in a committee boardroom. That's why automatic bids are needed.

The only teams that would benefit from a 16 team format over a 24 team format are teams #9-#16 and their chances at winning the whole thing are about as good as teams #17-#24 anyway.
    Umm. Yes. Not sure why we need to revisit this over, and over, and over again. I get the argument, but we could also say, if a team couldn't even win their conference, they already proved they don't deserve a spot. They aren't the best. Win your damn conference or stay home. Now, I realize that is a bit overboard, but no more than saying a conf champ doesn't deserve a spot. We have too many teams as it is. I'd always vote to limit it to 16. No Thanksgiving weekend games, seed all teams, even though I don't like the entire concept of seeding. Not to mention the subjective aspect of it. And screw all travel considerations.