Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: SoCon Expansion?

My Team
    Holy Cross

Re: SoCon Expansion?

Quote Originally Posted by FUBeAR View Post
    Looks to FUBeAR that, just this afternoon, the SoCon expanded and reminded the ACC that we are, and always have been, their Daddy.

Congrats, you were the first person I thought of while watching this.

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    The Citadel

Furman sucks.

My Team
    Furman & Mercer

Quote Originally Posted by ElCid View Post
    Furman sucks.
    Y’all just send that NCAA share check back upstate then.
    NCAA DIVISION I MANUAL

20.10.1 Commitments to the Division I Collegiate Model
    Bylaws proposed and enacted by member institutions governing the conduct of intercollegiate athletics shall be designed to foster competition in amateur athletics

20.10.1.2 The Commitment to Amateurism
    Member institutions shall conduct their athletics programs…maintaining a line of demarcation between student-athletes who participate in the Collegiate Model and athletes competing in the professional model

AGS FCS Master
    My Team
    New Hampshire

And yet all three SOCON teams you listed were rated higher in the final Massey than Monmouth, and Hampton, and Campbell, two higher than A&T..... Sure we lost to Campbell, but really?

These CAA adds were not power adds. Not horrible, but not as good as you are trying to make them out to be. Team quality obviously ebbs and flows. With umteen teams in the CAA you got to know that a few teams will have a favorable schedule to pad their record. Same applies to Big Sky. Luck of the draw for teams that are surging and yet get blessed with a good bit their conference's bottom feeders.

I'm not sure if there is another conf as even as the SOCON. This past year was a little bit more separated between top and bottom, but looking at the last five years or so, it has been fairly even.
    No doubt, I agree that SoCon was the most balanced for several years until this season. I thought they deserved at least 2 teams in the playoffs 2019 and 2021. Massey's ranking methodology is so flawed, I never consider it. Just a guess, but I suspect that the sweet-heart games the SoCon plays vs top SEC competition accounts for the comparison you are making. Mr Massey is not concerned about the accuracy of FCS ranking.

I like the SoCon and I think there was near parity between the top 6 CAA and top 5 SoCon teams in 2022.
    "Knowledge is Good" Emil Faber

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    The Citadel

Quote Originally Posted by KPSUL View Post
    No doubt, I agree that SoCon was the most balanced for several years until this season. I thought they deserved at least 2 teams in the playoffs 2019 and 2021. Massey's ranking methodology is so flawed, I never consider it. Just a guess, but I suspect that the sweet-heart games the SoCon plays vs top SEC competition accounts for the comparison you are making. Mr Massey is not concerned about the accuracy of FCS ranking.

I like the SoCon and I think there was near parity between the top 6 CAA and top 5 SoCon teams in 2022.
    Sounds reasonable. However, we had no SEC game this year. Or ACC game either. And Wofford had a bad ACC team. WCU had an eh, ACC team. But I get it. The SOCON has probably the best (hardest) FBS games, on average and that raises the rating usually a bit. But we also win the occasional ACC/SEC games as well. Scheduling is obviously mainly due to proximity and history.

I have studied Massey for a few years now and he is fairly good. Sure there are odd ball results, but if you look at his predicted vs actual, on average, he isn't bad. There are definite biases. I think, especially, past year results are weighted too much. At least in my opinion.

Proud Member of the AGS Wine and Cheese Crowd

Furman sucks.
    Did you forget my suit case? I left it down stairs. I though you were going to bring it to my room
    Ah Horse Feathers!

I don't know what they have to say, It makes no difference anyway, Whatever it is, I'm against it.
    No matter what it is or who commenced it, I'm against it!
    Your proposition may be good, But let's have one thing understood: Whatever it is, I'm against it.
    And even when you've changed it or condensed it, I'm against it!

Major FCS Ruler ElonFirefighter's Avatar
    My Team
    Elon

Quote Originally Posted by OL FU View Post
    Did you forget my suit case? I left it down stairs. I though you were going to bring it to my room
    HAHA

Attachment 32755
    ****For Rent****
    www.elonfans.info

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    Delaware

Sounds reasonable. However, we had no SEC game this year. Or ACC game either. And Wofford had a bad ACC team. WCU had an eh, ACC team. But I get it. The SOCON has probably the best (hardest) FBS games, on average and that raises the rating usually a bit. But we also win the occasional ACC/SEC games as well. Scheduling is obviously mainly due to proximity and history.

I have studied Massey for a few years now and he is fairly good. Sure there are odd ball results, but if you look at his predicted vs actual, on average, he isn't bad. There are definite biases. I think, especially, past year results are weighted too much. At least in my opinion.
    Its not a popular opinion but I would agree with you on Massey….these guys act like he should nail every game

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    The Citadel

Quote Originally Posted by caribbeanhen View Post
    Its not a popular opinion but I would agree with you on Massey….these guys act like he should nail every game
    The big problem is he can't account for the portal, a new coach, the weather, a rivalry, injuries, momentum (good and bad), let down games, look ahead games, etc. If everything is somewhat stable and normal, he is not bad. Those things don't always have impacts, but they pop up for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by KPSUL View Post

Mr. Kenneth Massey is an accomplished mathematician. He is solely concerned about accuracy of all ratings/rankings.
    The primary challenge of ranking sports results is to do so accurately, entirely without bias, and with a basic set of data.
    Within those parameters, every system has flaws depending of amount plus type of data. Eleven games is far from a comfortable sample.
    I would also like to point out that this past season, Mr Massey's CFB math system was Number One for ALL Divison I games Against the Spread.
    An accomplishment to be proud of.
    It's not easy being a geek....