Page 1 of 45 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Transfer Portal Activity

First Class FCS Advocate Sundog's Avatar
    My Team
    North Dakota State

Transfer Portal Activity

In the past few days, 4 current NDSU players (3 of whom saw significant snaps this year) have announced that they're entering the transfer portal. Their timing means that they will not be participating in the upcoming playoffs. Any other FCS schools seeing similar developoments? I personally have mixed feelings about this... their careers/best interests vs. loyalty to their program and their teammates.

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    The Citadel

Re: Transfer Portal Activity

Quote Originally Posted by Sundog View Post
    In the past few days, 4 current NDSU players (3 of whom saw significant snaps this year) have announced that they're entering the transfer portal. Their timing means that they will not be participating in the upcoming playoffs. Any other FCS schools seeing similar developoments? I personally have mixed feelings about this... their careers/best interests vs. loyalty to their program and their teammates.
    Impact players? Might affect my pick 'em scores. Hah.

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    Delaware

Quote Originally Posted by ElCid View Post
    impact players means different things to different people

We lost key and not-so-key players to the transfer portal. I try to view it as the player’s dad….whatever reason I support the player’s decision. We lost a die-hard starting Tribe RB to Monmouth. I’ll just say “good luck” to him and I prefer the 4 RBs we have who want to compete for playing time. Our TE transferred to Clemson. He did well but there’s an old saying, “fake grass is always green.” NDSU has plenty of guys who love the school and want to compete. You’ll be fine…the transfer portal is what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The College of William & Mary: COP free since 1693

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by ElCid View Post
    The 4 were CB Marques Sigle, WR DJ Hart, RB Dom Gonnella, and CB Britton Pascoe.

Sigle was their #3 CB but had played really well - only reason he wasn't starting is they have 2 established starters already. Hart was probably either their #2 or #3 receiver in terms of snaps and, IMO, was their most dynamic WR. Gonnella was their #4 RB (moved up to #3 with the injury to Hunter Leupke) but in NDSU's offense that does get you some decent carries - they have ridiculous depth at RB though. Pascoe was a redshirt freshman who hadn't appeared in a game yet this year I don't think so he is probably just looking for somewhere he can get more playing time.

Losing Sigle and Hart hurts. Losing Gonella is unfortunate but pretty minimal impact IMO. Losing Pascoe has no impact on this season.

I mentioned it in the MVFC thread but I'm pretty sure the reason these guys are heading to the portal now is the early signing period in mid-December is when the majority of FBS scholarships are locked up so if they wait until after the playoffs they're potentially losing opportunities. If they'd make the early signing period actually early like in August FCS teams would be able to avoid a lot of these situations happening during the playoffs I'd think (not to mention the coaching churn that tends to happen this time of year for the same reason of trying to beat the early signing period).
    Professor Chaos is a proud supporter of the 9-time NCAA Division 1 Football National Champion North Dakota State Bison.

FCS Master

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    If they'd make the early signing period actually early like in August FCS teams would be able to avoid a lot of these situations happening during the playoffs I'd think (not to mention the coaching churn that tends to happen this time of year for the same reason of trying to beat the early signing period).
    I get the frustration but moving early signing to August will never get any traction. That's prior to the start of the player's senior season, which coaches view -- with very few exceptions -- both as confirmation of a player's value as well as a necessary part of their development. Not to mention that signing a kid to a scholarship prior to the start of their senior year is illegal under current NCAA rules and changing those rules would open up a simply massive can of worms that would be virtually impossible to regulate.

My Team
    Stephen F. Austin

LB: BREVIN RANDLE 6-0; 230 (SFA)
    GP:37;TKL:184;TFL:12.0;SCK:3.0;FF:2;FR:2;PD:1;INT: 2;TD:1

- PLAYED IN 4 GAMES AND THEN SAT OUT THE REST OF THE SEASON TO ENTER THE PORTAL WITH 2 YEARS REMAINING (2022)
    - 1ST TEAM ALL-WAC (2021)
    - 1ST TEAM ALL-SLC/SLC DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR (2020)
    CONFERENCE CHAMPIONS - 1935 1985 1989 1999 2009 2010 2022
    FCS PLAYOFFS - 1988 1989 1993 1995 2009 2010 2021
    NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME - 1989
    WALTER PAYTON AWARD - 2010
    SLC/WAC COMMISSIONER'S CUP - 2009 2010 2011 2012 2015 2016 2017 2020 2021
    104 OVERALL CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIPS

AXE'EM JACKS!

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
    I get the frustration but moving early signing to August will never get any traction. That's prior to the start of the player's senior season, which coaches view -- with very few exceptions -- both as confirmation of a player's value as well as a necessary part of their development. Not to mention that signing a kid to a scholarship prior to the start of their senior year is illegal under current NCAA rules and changing those rules would open up a simply massive can of worms that would be virtually impossible to regulate.
    The majority of guys who commit to FBS schools and top FCS schools are offered and verbally committed well before their senior season starts. As far as needing them to be seniors move it to 9/15 or 10/1 then. They do it in basketball with an early signing period 4-5 months before the late signing period.

Or just get rid of the early signing period altogether... I was all for it at first just because the Nick Sabans of the world were against it so I thought it must be good for the littler guys but I didn't anticipate it causing this cluster**** of player and coach movement in late November/early December that would be so disruptive to the FCS playoffs.
    Professor Chaos is a proud supporter of the 9-time NCAA Division 1 Football National Champion North Dakota State Bison.

First Class FCS Advocate
    My Team
    South Dakota State

Quote Originally Posted by Sundog View Post
    Dom Izzo posted the timeline on transfers. This is on the NCAA who wrote the rules. The window opens now and runs to January 5, 3 days before the FCS title game, 4 days prior to the FBS title game. The three from NDSU, if they intended to transfer had no real choice but to announce now.

Major FCS Advocate
    My Team
    Montana

UM griz lost Marcus Knight last week to the portal. He was projected to be big sky all conference RB but had been dealing with an injury and just never came back the way people hoped he would. I think he knew he was no longer going to be a starter and must have decided time to move on.