Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 2026 Schedules

Re: 2026 Schedules

Quote Originally Posted by bonarae View Post
    Maryland will play almost every FCS team in the area but...well...
    Georgetown: "We play where we do not compete, and compete where we do not play."

Top FCS Advocate
    My Team
    San Diego

Quote Originally Posted by DFW HOYA View Post
    Maryland will play almost every FCS team in the area but...well...

Would a win over Georgetown count toward bowl eligibility?

Quote Originally Posted by Baron Sardonicus View Post
    Would a win over Georgetown count toward bowl eligibility?
    Maybe yes, maybe no. Georgetown's equivalencies in any one year are not disclosed.

Then again, Georgetown can't even get Howard or Villanova to schedule them.
    Georgetown: "We play where we do not compete, and compete where we do not play."

First Class FCS Ruler Son of Eli's Avatar
    My Team
    Yale

Are you sure Georgetown has any football equivalencies? My understanding of equivalencies is that they are partial athletic scholarships. As Georgetown doesn’t award any athletic scholarships for football I don’t believe they have any equivalencies. am I missing something?

https://www.ncsasports.org/blog/athl...us-equivalency

Top FCS Advocate
    My Team
    San Diego

Quote Originally Posted by Son of Eli View Post
    Are you sure Georgetown has any football equivalencies? My understanding of equivalencies is that they are partial athletic scholarships. As Georgetown doesn’t award any athletic scholarships for football I don’t believe they have any equivalencies. am I missing something?

https://www.ncsasports.org/blog/athl...us-equivalency

Yes, you are missing something.

Head count sports are those sports that generally bring revenues to the school. For men, revenue sports include basketball and Division IA football.

FBS football (or IA, as he calls it) is considered by the NCAA to be a different sport than FCS football. FCS football is not a headcount sport, so partial scholarships are allowed to a maximum of 85 players per team/per year.

Georgetown gives many partial football scholarships, but Fordham gives many more partial scholarships. Put those partial scholarships together, and Georgetown has maybe 35 equivalencies. Fordham has about 60 equivalencies.

Yale gives no athletic aid. Lowered admission standards for players, but no athletic aid. All the need-based aid in the world, but no athletic aid. Thus, Yale has 0 equivalencies. I've noticed that some Ivy League fans think Georgetown football, like the Ivies, is non-scholarship. Nope--the Hoyas offer fb players athletic aid... also known as merit aid for jocks...also known as equivalencies. If you are a Hoya player receiving football money in your financial package, and you quit the team, you lose that athletic money.

Last edited by Baron Sardonicus; March 6th, 2024 at 02:08 PM.

Yes, you are missing something.
    Georgetown gives many partial football scholarships, but Fordham gives many more partial scholarships. Put those partial scholarships together, and Georgetown has maybe 35 equivalencies. Fordham has about 60 equivalencies.

Yale gives no athletic aid. Lowered admission standards for players, but no athletic aid. All the need-based aid in the world, but no athletic aid. Thus, Yale has 0 equivalencies. I've noticed that some Ivy League fans think Georgetown football, like the Ivies, is non-scholarship. Nope--the Hoyas offer fb players athletic aid... also known as merit aid for jocks...also known as equivalencies. If you are a Hoya player receiving football money in your financial package, and you quit the team, you lose that athletic money.
    That's not accurate. Georgetown does not provide partial scholarships (defined as athletic grant in aid) through the athletic department. Fordham and the other PL schools provide 63 full scholarships for football, though Bucknell might be closer to 55-57.

So where do equivalencies come in? Unlike the Ivies, Colgate, and a few other schools which offer aid with a "no loan" component, Georgetown does not. It does not offer financial aid without 1) a loan component and 2) a work-study component. The previous formula allowed Patriot schools (all of which except Georgetown have moved on from this, of course) to "buy out" the loan and the work study portion of the aid package and that's the equivalency, since it is independent from the offer from the financial aid office.

One might say "What Division I athlete has to do work study?" Well, absent a buyout, they would.

In all the years I have covered the Hoyas I have never seen a verified equivalency number. The equivalent of 35 you cite would be $3.1 million in program expenses, which is more than its entire budget of $2.7 million.

Top FCS Advocate
    My Team
    San Diego

I have no insight on Georgetown's actual equivalency number. However, the Equity in Athletics site indicates they have been giving athletic aid to football players. Deflect if you want, but to the NCAA, they are equivalencies. Joe Blow doesn't get that aid. The money is for players.

I have no insight on Georgetown's actual equivalency number. However, the Equity in Athletics site indicates they have been giving athletic aid to football players. Deflect if you want, but to the NCAA, they are equivalencies. Joe Blow doesn't get that aid. The money is for players.
    The EADA reports financial aid in aggregate for all sports--it does not break down allocations by sport. FWIW, Georgetown has approx. 125 scholarships across 30 sports which tracks to $10.8 million total across 780 student-athletes. Nine of the 30 sports are fully funded in scholarships.

All that said, will this formula help attract opponents for the 2026 football schedule? No.
    Last edited by DFW HOYA; March 6th, 2024 at 03:48 PM.

FCS EGG-HOLE
    My Team
    DELAWARE

.......SO.....AFTERAH ALL THESE POSTS.....MAH OWNLY QUESTION..............WHAT'S AN EQUIVALENCY..........DOODLE-DOO!

First Class FCS Ruler Son of Eli's Avatar
    My Team
    Yale

So the Ivy League has no equivalencies because they give financial aid to players with no loan or work study requirements, but Georgetown has equivalencies because they give financial aid with loan or work study requirements and then buy out these requirements for the football players. The end result is the same: football financial aid recipients at Georgetown and the Ivy League have no work study or loan requirements. But Georgetown gets equivalencies and the Ivy League doesn’t. This NCAA rule is nonsensical.