Just some overall thoughts...

The coaching staff (starting with Phillips, along with the Offensive and Special Teams staff) let this team down with their game-plan (or lack thereof) coming into this matchup. Earlier in the week I mentioned how Jaleel is not built to run the ball up the middle against a big SEC defense as he isn't built like YSU RB great Marcus Mason. For some reason, our O.C. thought he'd eventually break one and kept running the same vanilla plays over and over again (i.e. insanity) which failed immensely. He was never going to be able to consistently rush for much against that defense. Don't they remember last year at Michigan State when he rushed for just 34 yards!? The lack of creative plays was glaring. They should watch the Missouri State vs. Arkansas film and see how they utilize their mobile QB... because we don't!

However, I do have to hand it to the Defensive staff for their performance!

Kentucky's offense was on the field for 38:10 minutes (roughly 63%) of the game. We obviously gave up 31 points which isn't great, but against an SEC team in the Top 10 in the country, I'd take it. We also forced two interceptions, sacked their QB 4 times, and if I am reading the stat line correctly, had a total of 10 tackles for loss (including the 4 sacks). We also held their offense to just 103 yards on the ground. I think we clearly have holes in our pass defense through 3 games (gave up 377 yards through the air this week ), but I am pleased with our rush defense which is giving up just 69.7 yards per game which is Top 10 in the FCS right now. We will need that to continue, especially in 2 weeks in Fargo.

I hope Phillips and the Offensive Staff pay close attention to the film this week. We had opportunities to score (at least 14 points) to make the score more respectable, but their game plan cost us those chances.

Go YSU