Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
Added the team stats comparison to the first post. A couple things I thought were interesting:
  • These teams are #1 and #2 in defensive 3rd down % - if either offense can win on 3rd down they should give themselves a big advantage. Both defenses are really good against the run as well which plays a big factor in that.
  • JMU is #1 in turnover margin at +21 - taking care of the ball will be paramount for NDSU.
  • I know JMU is quick strike offense but if the NDSU defense can force them into sustaining drives (which I think they will) being efficient in the redzone will by key for JMU and that's an area they've struggled at so far this year.
  • Special teams will be an X factor. JMU's kick return average is tops in the nation and NDSU has struggled with that this year. NDSU's punt return average is amongst the best in the nation as well. Those hidden yards may play a big role.
The Bison would be smart in this game to just let our kicker put it through the end zone on any kickoffs, make them march it 75 yards every series. In past games JMU has set themselves up nicely several times around the 50 with kick returns. Same thing for punts, just angel towards the sideline, sure, we might have one go a little astray and end up being a 35 yard punt once in a while, but I will live with that compared to a punt return for 50 yards.