My Team
    South Dakota State

Re: 2021 Fall Playoffs Round 2: UT Martin @ #8 Montana State

First Class FCS Advocate MSUWineGuy's Avatar
    My Team
    Missouri State

Quote Originally Posted by MSUBobcat View Post
    Students don't get sideline seats. I have no knowledge of if/why students were thrown out of the game, but an assistant coach tweeted that the students poured beer on the team, not heckling. If you throw beer on the opposition, you should absolutely be thrown out.

We have 4th row seats behind the UTM sideline, and I'm very much looking forward to some friendly.... banter. One of my favorite playoff memories was getting some seats in the Furman section in 2006 (I assume they opened up after Furman couldn't sell their allotment). We actually had a great time with their fans, which tamed our heckling as immature recent college grads. They "educated" us that they used to be the Furman University Christian Knights, turning us into quasi-Furman fans, yelling, "Let's go F U C K's!" (We were in our early 20's, give us a break!)
    Had not seen that report and agree on throwing out anyone throwing stuff at players, that is not acceptable.

The team appeared to really like the "UTI Skycocks" chant.

Ahh to be in college again.
    ALL HAIL MAROON AND WHITE

If MSU can't figure out their offense it could be a battle. MSU may be able to simply out-athlete and out-talent UT Martin though, and like others have said MSU doesn't typically turn the ball over - 7 turnovers all year. But it's easy to not turn the ball over on offense when you take zero chances... Looking forward to good game in Bozeman, hoping to wash away that Cat/Griz taste in everyone's mouth.
    R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
    Twitter - @rrcatcast

My Team
    Furman & Mercer

Quote Originally Posted by catbob View Post
    MSU may be able to simply out-athlete and out-talent UT Martin though
    Montana State still has the same Players that FUBeAR watched play against Weber State, right?
    NCAA DIVISION I MANUAL

20.10.1 Commitments to the Division I Collegiate Model
    Bylaws proposed and enacted by member institutions governing the conduct of intercollegiate athletics shall be designed to foster competition in amateur athletics

20.10.1.2 The Commitment to Amateurism
    Member institutions shall conduct their athletics programs…maintaining a line of demarcation between student-athletes who participate in the Collegiate Model and athletes competing in the professional model

My Team
    Montana State

Quote Originally Posted by FUBeAR View Post
    Montana State still has the same Players that FUBeAR watched play against Weber State, right?
    UTM still has the same players that MSUBobcat watched play against Missouri State, right?

UTM still has the same players that MSUBobcat watched play against Missouri State, right?
    BURNNNNNNNNNNN

My Team
    Montana State

Arctic climate? What weather site are you using? I don't put much trust in a forecast this far out, but I'm seeing high of 41, wind 10-20mph, 30% chance of snow, ending before game time and less than an inch of accumulation.

If UTM loses, weather will be a poor excuse. I seem to remember everyone saying Coastal Carolina didn't stand a chance against Montana in the cold in 2013 and they were up 21 pts with less than 9 minutes to play before UM staged a mini comeback. And that was ACTUAL cold (-5 degrees) not a balmy 41.
    And this is why I don't put much stock in a forecast a week out. Today is going to be 62 in Bozeman; unseasonably warm is putting it mildly. Saturday is looking like 55 and windy (20-30 mph) which will affect the passing game. Since neither team is a passing juggernaut, it will probably affect the kicking and field position game more than passing offense but #11 had a game for Martin so maybe a slight edge for the Bobcats?

And this is why I don't put much stock in a forecast a week out. Today is going to be 62 in Bozeman; unseasonably warm is putting it mildly. Saturday is looking like 55 and windy (20-30 mph) which will affect the passing game. Since neither team is a passing juggernaut, it will probably affect the kicking and field position game more than passing offense but #11 had a game for Martin so maybe a slight edge for the Bobcats?
    Well I'm hearing that Keon Howard their dual threat QB is out again, so Dresser Winn will be the man again and he is much more of a big, pro-style QB. He can extend plays but he isn't going to beat you with his legs.
    R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
    Twitter - @rrcatcast

My Team
    Montana State

Quote Originally Posted by catbob View Post
    Well I'm hearing that Keon Howard their dual threat QB is out again, so Dresser Winn will be the man again and he is much more of a big, pro-style QB. He can extend plays but he isn't going to beat you with his legs.
    With 20-30 mph winds with occasional gusts over 40, that decreases the likelihood that Winn beats us with his arm. He only completed 53.5% of his passes, with 2 TD vs 1 INT, though he did amass 272 passing yards. Williams (#11) accounted for about 2/3 of the total passing yards and it reminded me a lot of how McCutcheon was used earlier in the year - throw it up and give the big receiver a chance. He's almost exactly the same build as Cutch (6-3, 205 for Williams vs 6-3,202 for McCutcheon). I like our chances if it's our running game against their running game, especially at home. Get them into 3rd and 3-4 and I think the D gets off the field most of the time.

First Class FCS Advocate
    My Team
    Montana State

Quote Originally Posted by Pards Rule View Post
    My connection to the Bobcats (and I root for them) is the National Oil Company Account VP (e.g. Texaco, Shell, Canadian Tire, all worldwide entities) at Hanna Car Wash Systems, International (OEM) in Portland, OR (at the time I was affiliated 1985-92, now moved to Houston and merged, Coleman-Hanna now) when I was a district rep in NJ, NY was an older Bobcat grad, Ron Holm. Im not sure what class he was but he passed in April 2018 after full life. We would always chat during the season how our respective teams were doing and he became a Leopard supporter of course. I poked into very SE Montana (town called Alzada) from my Mountain West trip in early Sept after watching Lafayette-Air Force game on Sept 4th so I could notch another state off my list but obviously want to see so much more. Just didnt have the time this trip. Next will be Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Custer and driving Montana! Maybe I can see Jon Tester farming out there!
    I don’t think even Big Sandy locals ever see Tester farming.