Thread: AGS Playoff Bracket Challenge - Fall 2021

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Top FCS Ruler
    My Team
    North Dakota State University

Playoff Bracket Challenge - Fall 2021

Well, we are one week away from knowing who will be playing for a championship, and who will be getting ready for next year.

I thought it would be fun this year to have our own Playoff Bracket Challenge. Heck, if Hero Sports can do it, so can we.

To facilitate this, I am asking anyone who wishes to play to reply to this thread with “I’m in!”.

How to Play the Bracket Challenge

After I see that you are in, and soon after the bracket has been revealed, I will send a PM with a personalized link to a bracket (it is this bracket that needs to be filled out).

To complete the bracket, simply go to the gray boxes and type in scores for each game. Each bracket will autofill with teams as scores are picked, but double-check each line to make sure the team you picked is listed properly.

The deadline is 1 hr before the start of the first playoff game, and at that point, the links to the sheets will no longer be active. Whatever you have entered at that time will be your submission. I will then compile all submissions into a single Google Sheet where scoring will be kept (and updated as game results come in), and everybody’s brackets will be available for viewing.

How the Bracket Challenge will be Scored

As for scoring, there are three criteria that will apply. The first is simply whether or not the correct team was picked. The second is how close your predicted score for each team was to the actual score for each team. The third is how close your predicted margin of victory was from the actual margin of victory.

1. Picking winners (points for correct winner per round):

5 pt (1st Round)
    10 pt (2nd round)
    15 pt (Quarterfinals)
    20 pt (Semifinals)
    25 pt (Championship)

2. Score prediction (points per score difference):

1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 pt (depending on round) - within 21-25 points of actual score
    2, 4, 6, 8, or 10 pt (depending on round) - within 16-20 points of actual score
    3, 6, 9, 12, or 15 pt (depending on round) - within 11-15 points of actual score
    4, 8, 12, 16, or 20 pt (depending on round) - within 6-10 points of actual score
    5, 10, 15, 20, or 25 pt (depending on round) - within 0-5 points of actual score

3. Margin prediction (points per margin difference):

1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 pt (depending on round) - within 21-25 points of score margin
    2, 4, 6, 8, or 10 pt (depending on round) - within 16-20 points of score margin
    3, 6, 9, 12, or 15 pt (depending on round) - within 11-15 points of score margin
    4, 8, 12, 16, or 20 pt (depending on round) - within 6-10 points of score margin
    5, 10, 15, 20, or 25 pt (depending on round) - within 0-5 points of score margin

Thus, the overall winner will be the player with the highest score combination of most accurately picking (1) winners, (2) the game scores, and (3) the score margin for each game. If, for example, if one had predicted the following from the Quarterfinals of the 2019 FCS Bracket...

Prediction: Weber State 31 Montana 38
    Actual Result: Weber State 17 Montana 10

Based on the above prediction and game result, this player would have scored 9 points for this game (out of 45 possible):

1. Winner - This individual would have received 0 points (out of 15 possible) for the winner due to an incorrect pick.

2. Score prediction - This individual would have received 0 points (out of 15 possible) for the score prediction, because the score prediction was 42 points off from the actual score (|31-17|+|38-10|=14+28=42).

3. Margin prediction - This individual would have received 9 points, because the margin prediction would have been 14 points off from the actual margin (7 in favor of Montana vs. 7 in favor of Weber State).

Thus, a player can still score points and be in the game, even if their picks go down in the 1st or 2nd round. Likewise, a player can separate themself from the pack by being an accurate score predictor.

Again, if interested, reply in this thread with “I’m in!, and once the bracket is set, I will send you the link to your individual bracket via PM. Also, be sure that you can receive PM’s (i.e., your inbox/sent items are not full). Good luck and happy picking!
    Last edited by Preferred Walk-On; November 16th, 2021 at 03:25 PM.