Quote Originally Posted by ST_Lawson View Post
Even with UTRGV, it still looks like a pretty compact conference. I don't think any other conference would be better for you guys at this point. OVC is too far north, UAC is spread all over the place from Eastern Kentucky to Southern Utah.
Obviously you’ve never driven west on I-10 through Louisiana, Houston and points west and south. What may look like an easy drive on paper can often take an hour or two more than is should due to traffic, accidents, construction, etc. The league was fine when Sam and SFA were in the league and before Abilene. Abilene is now out but Edinburg, Tx is further and tougher to get to than Abilene. While there is no current league setup more geographically favorable, with West Georgia moving up, and likely West Florida and Valdosta in near future, an expanded ASUN would be a better fit. If McNeese moves up, as their folks claim they’re going to do, that would give SLU and Nicholls the out to move on. A league of SLU, Nicholls, UCA, West Florida, Valdosta, North Alabama, Austin Peay, UTM, Tennessee Tech and SEMO would be better for us and our fans than traveling to freaking Texas all the time - especially Edinburg, San Antonio and Commerce.

Now, if SFA comes back, ULM drops down, McNeese stays put and we could somehow lure West Florida into the Southland, I’d have no problem staying. We need some movement on the eastern, non-Texas side. Texas fatigue is a real thing in these parts.