• VMI

11 36.67%
  • James Madison

19 63.33%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2021 Spring Playoffs Round 1: VMI @ James Madison

AGS FCS Champion

2021 Spring Playoffs Round 1: VMI @ James Madison

Here's how these two match up statistically with the national ranks in parenthesis. Take them with a grain of salt given how few games some teams played this spring and the insular schedules most teams played but hopefully it gives some insight on the relative strengths and weaknesses of each team.

Discuss.
    Professor Chaos is a proud supporter of the 9-time NCAA Division 1 Football National Champion North Dakota State Bison.

My Team
    Chattanooga

Re: 2021 Spring Playoffs Round 1: VMI @ James Madison

Tough draw for VMI and I don't think they can beat the Dukes, especially without Udinski, but I'll be pulling for them none the less.

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    The Citadel

Quote Originally Posted by Mocs123 View Post
    Tough draw for VMI and I don't think they can beat the Dukes, especially without Udinski, but I'll be pulling for them none the less.
    I'm still undecided. The one big drawback for VMI, and plus for JMU, is obviously playoff experience. Not sure it will phase the Keydets terribly, but it is an edge. At least the travel is minimal...very minimal.

Their QB and receivers have some great timing. Not that our secondary is anything to write home about, but they looked well oiled. They have some big/tall receivers able to snag some crazy tosses. They have looked good all year. I think their one loss was just due to the new QB. VMIs D wasn't as impressive as I think it has been as well, at least during our game. They will be challenged. It might be a shootout.

My Team
    Furman & Mercer

Yeah - struggling with this one - struggled to understand JMU all season...but TBH, I haven’t seen them play.

I can only look at Elon, Davidson, Gardner-Webb relative to JMU ... and then W&M / Richmond ...and Elon. Just don’t see much separating JMU (or Richmond/W&M/Elon) from one another...and, by extension, from Davidson, Gardner-Webb, and Charleston Southern...and that brings Bobby Morris back into this ‘mix.’

I know the Keydets well & they are tough & battle-hardened, having faced & defeated a wide variety of Offensive styles and solid Defenses - they’ve won close/OT defensive games & put up some big numbers, when needed

JMU is favored by 14.5 ... maybe they are that talented.

Certainly pulling for VMI & I just think they have enough (even without Udinski) to get it done.
    NCAA DIVISION I MANUAL

20.10.1 Commitments to the Division I Collegiate Model
    Bylaws proposed and enacted by member institutions governing the conduct of intercollegiate athletics shall be designed to foster competition in amateur athletics

20.10.1.2 The Commitment to Amateurism
    Member institutions shall conduct their athletics programs…maintaining a line of demarcation between student-athletes who participate in the Collegiate Model and athletes competing in the professional model

My Team
    Chattanooga

I saw JMU in 2019 and they were very talented, though I think they lost several guys from that team and I know they underperformed this year.

I'm still wagering that JMU is far more talented then VMI, but this VMI team is playing well and it just seems to be their year. I'll be pulling for my fellow SoCon team.

Funniest of the not funny TheRevSFA's Avatar
    My Team
    Stephen F. Austin

Let's go VMI
    Funniest of the not funny since 2018

FCS Master
    My Team
    North Dakota State

VMI competes, but the Dukes are too talented. Something like 31-21 JMU.

My Team
    Furman & Mercer

College Sports Madness is kinda thinkin’ like FUBeAR https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/19369 - All games / scores ‘picked’ here.

It’s strange to say, but of all the seeded teams, James Madison might be the one who’s the biggest mystery. A typical season in the Colonial Athletic would have them well tested. But the two division format did them no favors. Their defensive numbers, especially, look supremely scary, but they really haven’t seen a good offense all spring. That will change on Saturday, because the Keydets have a very good offense. An offense that is more predicated on passing than running, which is the area you’d rather attack JMU. Here’s the biggest difference in the programs; JMU has a huge playoff pedigree, VMI is making their first appearance. Call it a hunch. Make a big splash!
    Prediction: Virginia Military 27, James Madison 23
    NCAA DIVISION I MANUAL

20.10.1 Commitments to the Division I Collegiate Model
    Bylaws proposed and enacted by member institutions governing the conduct of intercollegiate athletics shall be designed to foster competition in amateur athletics

20.10.1.2 The Commitment to Amateurism
    Member institutions shall conduct their athletics programs…maintaining a line of demarcation between student-athletes who participate in the Collegiate Model and athletes competing in the professional model

AGS FCS Expert
    My Team
    VMI

VMI 27; JMU 21
    1-AA is tops!!

My Team
    North Dakota

That's a backbreaker wow