"We scheduled two FBS games, and (playoff-bound) SEMO and (7-5) UT Martin. That's our non-conference schedule. So I guess they're saying that if we'd beaten UMass (the blowout FBS win on SIU's resume) and beaten just one more lower FCS opponent, we're in (with eight wins)."

The argument could be made.
Just hours after pushing No. 1 seeded NDSU hard in Carbondale (game was tied 7-7 with five minutes left in the 3rd quarter - SIU eventually fell 21-7), the Salukis would find out the resume apparently wasn't strong enough. SIU had won five straight MVFC games -- four decisively -- coming into the season-finale with the Bison, then pushed the defending national champions hard. SIU's argument is that its seven-win season includes a blowout FBS win, a 5-3 record in traditionally the toughest conference in the FCS, it finished the year strongly and scheduled tough outside of the conference. Meanwhile, seven-win teams with no FBS wins -- North Dakota, Furman (throwing out its NAIA win) and SE Louisiana got in.

"I know it's about the whole body of work (in the FCS) and I'm throwing excuses out there ... ultimately, we have to win more games," Hill said. "I think we're fighting to get back to having more respect from the whole country. But we're going to get back to work. The culture of our program is to handle things the right way."
https://herosports.com/fcs/football-...nick-hill-ajaj

Would SIU to be in if they avoid a second FBS for a lower level D1 team? What case do UND/ SELA/ KSU have over SIU?