Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NCAA bans Indian mascots

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

NCAA bans Indian mascots

I don't believe that this has been posted before. If it has, please excuse

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8838557/

FCS Champion
    Shouldn't it be Native American mascots? I don't seem to see too many Indian mascots.

Shouldn't it be Native American mascots? I don't seem to see too many Indian mascots.
    Tell MSNBC editors

FCS Champion
    I hear ya - I am just giving them and the NCAA a hard time.

The NCAA had better be ready to open their checkbook when Florida State University AND the Seminole Indian (I am a native American, born and raised in the USA, hence native American-even though I'm caucasian) tribe sues them.

I can see them banning "Indian" mascots, including the Washington "Cab Drivers," the New York " Roach Hoteliers," the Atlanta "Convenience Store Owners," and the Houston "Doctors."

AGS FCS Champion Lehigh Football Nation's Avatar
    This applies to mascots only, and only to postseason (read: bowls and I-AA playoffs). So Florida State can continue to have the "Seminole" nickname, and during every single regular-season game, any of these schools are still more than welcome to "offend" Native Americans. :rolleyes:

Toothless.
    Follow me on Twitter (User Name LFN)

The
    Time
    Is
    Now

Quote Originally Posted by Lehigh Football Nation
    This applies to mascots only, and only to postseason (read: bowls and I-AA playoffs). So Florida State can continue to have the "Seminole" nickname, and during every single regular-season game, any of these schools are still more than welcome to "offend" Native Americans. :rolleyes:

Toothless.
    It would apply to the I-AA playoffs and the NCAA basketball tournament and all the other tournaments that the NCAA sponsors that crowns a national champion. I don't believe it would apply to bowls. Technically BCS has no association with the NCAA.

It is really a typically dumb politically correct move and will only further increase the view that the NCAA is an irrelevant organization with no clue as to what are the important issues they should deal with.

The NCAA is ridiculous. They are banning all Indian mascots and logos from post-season play, though they can remain during regular season play. How does that help? Isn't this when the NCAA makes all their money for merchandise selling all that NCAA logo stuff at championship events like "FLORIDA STATE SEMINOLES CITRUS BOWL SHIRTS" or "LOUSIANA MONROE INDIANS COLLEGE WORLD SERIES HATS". Ridiculous!

If the NCAA wants to ban these, they may as well ban these completely instead of just hurting the schools for having success into postseason play. I am not making much sense of this one. Isn't postseason success what a team strives for? I am sure more will be known when some things come to light as the NCAA officially lays this out and the affected institutions speak up.

I see some lawsuits forthcoming or some words exchanged from NCAA member institutions.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...x.html?cnn=yes
    -The Terror-

More PC madness... look out W&M... the 'Tribe' may soon be under attack.

This whole ordeal is completely absurd. It is just insane to do this.