Thread: Effect of transfer portal on FCS recruiting?

Effect of transfer portal on FCS recruiting?

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...ct-and-future/

Couldn't find a thread about this, but I think it will have FCS implications. According to 247 sports, there are well over 700 FBS players in the transfer portal.

Now I've been around the FCS long enough to know you can't build a winner in an upper-tier conference with lots of FBS transfers (even Power 5 ones), though the portal could open up more transferring between the FBS and FCS. Many of these guys aren't third or 4th stringers but two-deep guys and even some starters thinking they will be picked up by another FBS team. A lot won't find any FBS schools to recruit them or won't get NCAA waivers to play immediately, so they'll go FCS.

Kirby Smart in fact alluded to a "small school" (don't know if he means G5 or FCS) saying they were just going to sign fewer high school players and look into the portal for new players. Curious to see what people around here think about this.
    Six National Championships. All won via a playoff in the second highest level of football.

Re: Effect of transfer portal on FCS recruiting?

A FCS program should be able to field a competitive program out of this. And who ever Smart is quoting is right. Sign the 10 best HS players you can, then fill holes with the portal. Because all these kids aren't going to be picked up

I think the portal makes it much less of a one way street from FBS to FCS than it used to be. I think P5 and other FBS schools are going to scour the FCS ranks for impact players who slipped through the cracks and give them an opportunity to play at a higher level. Sucks but I just see a constant exchange of players from one to the other going on every year now.
    Upon the fields of friendly strife ...

First Class FCS Ruler
    My Team
    North Dakota

If FBS teams start poaching FCS players, I think the FCS could see higher quality HS recruits come in, as less FBS slots would be available. In theory.