Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    First Class FCS Ruler Hammersmith's Avatar

Re: EWU field issues

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU1980 View Post
    So what kind of field improvements are they talking about? I don't image a change in color is what is proposed.
    They're talking stadium improvements. The thread title is a bit misleading(not deliberately) because EWU calls its stadium a field. But replacing the turf is step 1 since their new AD thinks it's at the end of its life. But no changes to the color, just a new rug. Other than the turf, the only thing they've mentioned publicly is that the locker rooms need work. But the plans from the AD so far infer more than just turf and locker rooms.

Trying to read between the lines of the news article, it feels like there's a conflict between the new AD and EWU's Board of Trustees. She wants to push ahead and announce a project that can move forward in stages as money is raised, and they want to slow down and study how much money might be raised and then scale the project to that. The Board and school have been burnt by fancy renderings and big plans before, plus Washington state added some laws about financial transparency in athletic departments that they're still getting used to.

According to that article EWU has some real financial burdens to deal with before a stadium renovation takes place.

AGS Circle of Influence Member

This Gateway Project has been having issues for about 7 years at this point.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Playoff records of teams I follow since 1991:Twins: 6-22 (.214)
    UNI: 20-16 (.556)Vikings: 7-14 (.333)Wolves: 17-30 (.362)Wild: 25-43 (.367)
    Combined 75-125 (.375) 0 Titles
    Yet people wonder why I'm jaded about sports....

First Class FCS Ruler Hammersmith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by clenz View Post
    This Gateway Project has been having issues for about 7 years at this point.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    The implication from the article is that the Gateway project is dead. Also, the main university people pushing it have moved to other jobs.

AGS FCS Champion

Hopefully when Chaves leaves UND he leaves their athletic department in just as amazing of state as he left EWU.

2011, '12, '13, '14 '15 '17 & '18 National Champions

FCS Master

I thought that existing turf other than a shade of green was grandfathered by the NCAA, but when replaced, had to be green.
    "Knowledge is Good" Emil Faber

Quote Originally Posted by KPSUL View Post
    I thought that existing turf other than a shade of green was grandfathered by the NCAA, but when replaced, had to be green.
    One would only HOPE! Contact EWU athletic department & make sure they know!

I'm better than you...probably

Quote Originally Posted by RootinFerDukes View Post
    This issue has been ongoing for as long as I can remember. Itís red and no one seems to ever do anything about it.
    This doesn't have anything to do with the field even though the title reads that way. It is about football facilities from what I read and is the "little brother" project of a former larger project known as Gateway that did not come to fruition.

What would anybody do about the field anyway? It is their choice. Maybe you were making a joke but not sure on that one.
    http://www.anygivensaturday.com/signaturepics/sigpic2954_4.gif
    "At Georgia Southern, we don't cheat.......That costs money and we don't have any."
    Erk Russell - Georgia Southern

Frequent FCS Advocate SpreadTheWord's Avatar

Maybe it's time to reach out to Colin Cowherd to get some of that dough??

The Gateway project is definitely dead.

Most fans just want more seating. In a perfect world, we could remove the track, and move the field closer to the main stands, but even that is a pipe dream. For now, we just want to think small and just get some more seating. Games are often sold out and in order to move forward our team needs to at least have the capability of increasing ticket sales.