Re: UWGB in early discussions about football addition

Quote Originally Posted by Sycamore62 View Post
    ̶t̶h̶e̶r̶e̶ they're value is about $0
    Quote Originally Posted by JSUSoutherner View Post
    Fixed it for me

I meant at their location, value is about $0

Criminology, not English

Ideally GB would fit in the MVFC geographically but as far as the size of the school goes, they’d be the smallest in the MVFC by a decent margin. They’d be on par enrollment wise with a lot of the OVC schools. Travel is going to be an issue no matter where they end up being from the far north of Wisconsin where even Madison is about 2 hours away. I don’t think they’re going to pull a UNCC or UTSA and use FCS as a stop gap but I could see them being what we’re seeing with Kennesaw State right now. It all depends how they approach this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This member was formerly known as Killamike259

FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Mike296 View Post
    Ideally GB would fit in the MVFC geographically but as far as the size of the school goes, they’d be the smallest in the MVFC by a decent margin. They’d be on par enrollment wise with a lot of the OVC schools.
    Just for reference, the Macomb campus of WIU only has ~400 more students (as of last fall) than UWGB does.
    Admin of LeatherneckNation.net
    Alumnus/Employee/Fan of Western Illinois University
    WIU Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000

Quote Originally Posted by ST_Lawson View Post
    Just for reference, the Macomb campus of WIU only has ~400 more students (as of last fall) than UWGB does.
    Would the MVFC/Summit even want UWGB? If they do go scholarship and go to the Valley they wouldn’t be competitive right away but it would give them better chance at in state recruits that would go to the Dakota schools. Then again for non football sports they’re not that great of an athletics department asides from Women’s hoops in recent years. I don’t see any benefits for them to leave the Horizon in their other sports. If UWGB does start a program it wouldn’t be too crazy to see Parkside try to start in D2.

FCS Champion

Would the MVFC/Summit even want UWGB? If they do go scholarship and go to the Valley they wouldn’t be competitive right away but it would give them better chance at in state recruits that would go to the Dakota schools. Then again for non football sports they’re not that great of an athletics department asides from Women’s hoops in recent years. I don’t see any benefits for them to leave the Horizon in their other sports. If UWGB does start a program it wouldn’t be too crazy to see Parkside try to start in D2.

Probably not, I was just commenting on the enrollment bit. At our current rate, we're going to be pretty close to them by next football season.
    Admin of LeatherneckNation.net
    Alumnus/Employee/Fan of Western Illinois University
    WIU Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000

No one would gives any ****s about them.
    Teams I have watched this season: Butler - Cal Poly - Eastern Illinois - Furman - Hampton - Howard - Indiana State - Jacksonville State - James Madison - McNeese State - Mercer - Missouri State - Monmouth - Montana - Nicholls State- North Alabama -North Carolina A&T - North Carolina Central - North Dakota State - Northern Arizona - Northern Iowa - Prairie View A&M - Rhode Island - Samford - South Dakota - South Dakota State - Wofford - Yale - Youngstown State

One can only hope Nebraska will do the same and give Nebraska-Omaha a chance to think about bringing back football.

I know this originally came up back in November but I have people telling me they’ve had continued discussions about starting a D1 football team and possibly scholarships as well depending on how the study on the matter goes. They’re looking at either OVC or Pioneer depending on if they go scholarship or not. Recent state law changes prevents Madison from having a say in the matter and I think it’d be a great thing to have another D1 football school in Wisconsin.

Way back in the early to mid 90s they had some good men's basketball teams. UVA coach Tony Bennett played there (there was a point where he, the GB Packer and singer Tony Bennett were all in the GB airport at the same time)

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    One can only hope Nebraska will do the same and give Nebraska-Omaha a chance to think about bringing back football.
    I don't see that happening. It cracks me up that Cheesehead Big Red fans think they're as passionate about their team as Husker Big Red fans. The Cheeseheads have the Packers, Brewers and Bucks. The Huskers have nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by uni88 View Post
    I don't see that happening. It cracks me up that Cheesehead Big Red fans think they're as passionate about their team as Husker Big Red fans. The Cheeseheads have the Packers, Brewers and Bucks. The Huskers have nothing else.

You never know, it took us getting Evers in office for our change to happen. With the right administration anything can happen.