Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: School Specific Message Boards

Holy Cross: http://crossports.freeforums.net/

Pretty active for an FCS board, if mostly frequented by embittahed, old fogies like myself

ISUr Redbird Forum ... run by Quinn with help from TotalRed and others. Quinnn inherited site on older technology and it had unrecoverable crash about 2 years ago. So we lost a lot of history when it went down. Actually hurt posting activity as people were slow to re-engage as Quinn spent a couple weeks trying to recover the lost data. He is and should be revered for his efforts, but not to be ... we started over. Basketball board is pretty toxic .. football board is much more interesting and constructive. Activity is slowly picking up year over year. We're a basketball school that is turning into football school .. but fan support is largely fair weather. It is what it is .. after barely drawing 5k for home 2014 playoff game against rival UNI, and 2 road games (EWU and UNH) where we barely drew several hundred .. then we draw close to 4k in Frisco Natty ... Welcome to Redbird Nation !!

https://redbirdfan.net/forum/viewfor...c9d276ec4dcc24

edit: our forum is free and funded by donations from posters
    Last edited by Redbird 4th & short; February 17th, 2019 at 08:33 AM.

Western Carolina has two independent boards.

The Catamount Sports Forum

and

Catamount Pride

Visit The Catamount Sports Forum and Purple & Gold

"Go Cats"
    - catamount man

The Sultan of Sarcasm Grizalltheway's Avatar

With all due respect to the owner, who is a great guy, eGriz is probably 75% petty garbage and ****-flinging.

I have never paid to belong to a message board and donít understand why people do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Nickelback of AGS

Quote Originally Posted by dgtw View Post
    I have never paid to belong to a message board and don’t understand why people do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Donations fund this board. I don’t belong to any boards other that this one and don’t really have a problem kicking in for the cause. I am probably like you and would never be on a board that had mandatory fees
    Any unauthorized use of the intellectual property of POD Knows without the express written consent of POD Knows will be met with the swift hand of justice as determined by POD Knows

The Imagine Dragons of AGS

Quote Originally Posted by POD Knows View Post
    Donations fund this board. I don’t belong to any boards other that this one and don’t really have a problem kicking in for the cause. I am probably like you and would never be on a board that had mandatory fees
    This
    TheKingpin28 is "Nothing but an emotional fair weather fan." - Bisonwinagn

"There's a lot of people more concerned about being precisely, factually, and semantically correct than about being morally right" - Alexandria 'Sandy' Ocasio-Cortez, the new queen of the left.

FCS Champion

Leatherneck Nation was actually started by a UNI guy (who also ran Panther Nation...UNI's message board). I took it over from him maybe 7-8 years ago, and maybe 5 or so years ago switched to using phpBB.
    As for how the site is paid for, I have one google banner ad at the bottom of the page that easily covers the cost of hosting with enough left over for a small donation (a few hundred dollars) to the WIU Athletics Department every year.

We have 310 users signed up to the site, although like most sites, we have a core group of maybe 10-15 people that post regularly. Usually we'll get a couple of football parents in the spring or summer when their kids are freshmen, we've got a couple of guys who are much more heavily into basketball and comment a lot more during that portion of the year (which is good, because I'm much more of a football guy myself).

Unless the ad revenue completely dries up, I don't see our site going anywhere anytime soon (although even if it did, I think the core users would step up and be able to donate enough to keep the site running). I'm a web developer anyway, so the time I put into the site, I just treat as "honing my craft" a bit...keeping up on certain skills and technologies.
    Admin of LeatherneckNation.net
    Alumnus/Employee/Fan of Western Illinois University
    WIU Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000

A&T's forum: bluedeathvalley.proboards.com

Quote Originally Posted by Outsider1 View Post
    ACU uses ProBoards as well. It is maintained by a couple of great guys and we have a fairly active small group of regular fans/alum, parents and occaisional others who just like to use it to keep up, etc... I don't know if larger FBS schools just don't have the intimate communities that smaller schools do. Our fans do a great job of discussing pretty much all the sports ACU has and we can usually keep each other more informed through our board than the school's athletic website. We also offer other discussions as well; just like here.

http://catchat.freeforums.net/
    ACU Cat Chat has 394 members. Traffic is highest during football season but we have a few passionate followers for virtually every sport. For the most part we get along. Not a lot of trolling.