Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: School Specific Message Boards

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    First Class FCS Ruler
    My Team
    North Dakota

School Specific Message Boards

Kind of a random topic, but it's the off season and it's slow here, and this has bugged me for a while.

Why the hell do fan bases use premium message boards like rivals, where they are required to pay?

Schools like Montana, Montana State, UND, SDSU, NDSU, and many other FCS schools have quality message boards that are free. Why do so many FBS schools have fan bases that rely on message boards like rivals, where payment is required? And it seems like those message boards normally only have like 3-5 topics many of the time, like football, football recruiting, basketball, and off topic.

This is especially confusing because CSNBBS has a legit platform with the potential for any school to have an active and FREE message board. I think JMU uses this platform.

This bother anyone else? I can't think of a reason why it is so difficult to find a decent message boards for many FBS and P5 schools, that are free. You would think that a privatly owned website at a p5 school would get enough web traffic to be successful, especially since so many FCS schools do it, and do it better than Rivals and 247.

Re: School Specific Message Boards

I've maintained an independent web site and message board for 23 years (ouch!) and there aren't many of us left.

In many cases, the lure of click-throughs and banner ad revenues steered many of the formerly independent sites to Rivals, Scout, the second iteration of Rivals, 247 Sports, and SB Nation, but it left the sites to sign up fans on premium memberships to exist. I've never asked for a dime from the visitors to HoyaSaxa.com and the HoyaTalk boards and have no intention to do so, but others see such "affiliated" sites as a revenue producing operation.

Others start their own business out of it. Tech Sideline.com (the former "Hokie Central") started about the same time I did and went into a JV with Virginia's TheSabre.com. They host a platform for six other sites.
    Georgetown: "We play where we do not compete, and compete where we do not play."

Quote Originally Posted by DFW HOYA View Post
    I've maintained an independent web site and message board for 23 years (ouch!) and there aren't many of us left.

In many cases, the lure of click-throughs and banner ad revenues steered many of the formerly independent sites to Rivals, Scout, the second iteration of Rivals, 247 Sports, and SB Nation, but it left the sites to sign up fans on premium memberships to exist. I've never asked for a dime from the visitors to HoyaSaxa.com and the HoyaTalk boards and have no intention to do so, but others see such "affiliated" sites as a revenue producing operation.

Others start their own business out of it. Tech Sideline.com (the former "Hokie Central") started about the same time I did and went into a JV with Virginia's TheSabre.com. They host a platform for six other sites.
    Does traffic to the site cover all costs of hosting?

Quote Originally Posted by DFW HOYA View Post

DFW, I'm curious of your opinion on the layout of message boards like The Sabre. I never understood the appeal of a string of one sentence responses. There is never any in depth discussion on any points or topic. I'm sure there must be reason but I just don't see it. Maybe I'm missing something though.
    Last edited by grayghost06; February 19th, 2019 at 10:51 PM.

First Class FCS Ruler The Boogie Down's Avatar
    My Team
    Fordham

Quote Originally Posted by grayghost06 View Post
    I never understood the appeal of a string of one sentence responses. There is never any in depth discussion on any points or topic. I'm sure there must be reason but I just don't see it. Maybe I'm missing something though.
    The Helmet Project has a Voy forum like that. It's so retro-chic I only check it out via AOL while cranking up the ol' desktop.
    Top-20 FBS Rankings: 1935, 1936, 1937, 1938, 1939, 1940, 1941

Top-20 FCS Rankings: 2002, 2007, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2022

My Team
    UC Davis

http://www.aggiesportstalk.com/

Used to be on Yuku, now created through PlushForums

Tight knit group, with regulars over the last 10 years, new people come on at the start of football season, new students, recent alumni, most come and go, some stay for a while.
    AGGIE PRIDE

The Ambien of AGS

My Team

JSU uses ProBoards.

https://gojaxstate.boards.net
    Last edited by JSUSoutherner; February 16th, 2019 at 10:14 AM.

My Team
    Stephen F. Austin

CONFERENCE CHAMPIONS - 1935 1985 1989 1999 2009 2010 2022
    FCS PLAYOFFS - 1988 1989 1993 1995 2009 2010 2021
    NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME - 1989
    WALTER PAYTON AWARD - 2010
    SLC/WAC COMMISSIONER'S CUP - 2009 2010 2011 2012 2015 2016 2017 2020 2021
    104 OVERALL CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIPS

AXE'EM JACKS!

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    Sam Houston

The Moth don't care if the Flame is real.

My Team
    Chattanooga