Quote Originally Posted by clenz View Post
Pretty simple how it happens.

Kid plays in Texas, Florida, California, Alabama, Louisiana, and a few others he is automatically a 2 star no matter how good or bad he is.

There are a hundred D1 programs in those states. Kid gets an FBS offer - doesn't matter level of FBS offer and he gets at least a half star bump. Get a couple offers and "interest" from a P5 you get another half star.

It's a system that creates a cylce of every kid in that area ending up with a handful of G5 offers and P5 "Hey, how do you feel about maybe walking on" interests boosting a kids star ranking.

I take a kids "other offers" with a massive grain of salt. Almost none of them are committable. I genuinely mean almost none of them. These FBS programs are throwing out literally hundreds of offers per year.

Read this article. It's long...but it is MUST read to show the slimey underside of recruiting - especially of rthose that are super caught up in what other "offers" a kid had, which is a direct impact on their star ranking. I'll post parts of it

The quote that stood out to me most in that article that is applicable here was

That applies to CUSA, SBC, MAC, etc. schools as well. These schools throw out offers - which inflates a kids star ratings - like beads at a Mardi Gras parade and about 80% of the time they aren't even real offers.
very helpful, thanks ... this blurb said all I need to hear, assuming it is reasonably factual .. this must be reined in immediately. Just flat out cruel to these kids and their families. I get the schools must recruit and offer more schollies than they have, because kids have options at that point ... but the increase in the ratio of offers to spots is very alarming. You just don't see this much of an issue in midwest or IL .. for reasons you inferred with the southern states.

"Using the 247Sports recruiting database, Sports Illustrated research shows an accelerating trend at the major college level that hit new, disturbing benchmarks this year. The study, covering the last eight recruiting cycles, produced galling figures within college football’s major conferences: more than 101,000 scholarship offers issued in order to fill about 12,000 available scholarships. For the 2019 cycle alone, the 65 programs in Power 5 conferences made more than 15,000 scholarship offers in order to secure what is expected be about 1,600 signees. That’s an average of about 237 offers per school per year, a 100-offer increase from the average in 2012."