Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Can I Borrow Some PreWorkout Brah?

If it was given to him by a staff member then NDSU needs to own up to it and apologize for it and figure out how this happened so it doesn't in the future. Mistakes happen but how you deal with them is important.

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by BEAR View Post
    That and now I have the image of NDSU doing things to their players like a true FBS program..... J/K

Perception is everything. As a parent who may or may not have a kid going to play college football one day, I don't want him to go to a school that has the lack of morality to do that to a kid without his knowledge (if that's the case) or with his knowledge knowing it was wrong to give it to him to start out with.

But I'm more along the lines of believing the kid was taking them himself because 18 were tested and only he was caught? Anyone doesn't think it could be that scenario hasn't visited a high school locker room....ever.
    More than 18, that was just how many were tested for one game, they tested for other playoff games as well, no idea how many different people were tested but they administered over 50 tests just for the playoffs this year and I think this is the only one that came up bad and as far as I know, this is the only one that we have heard about in the playoff run. That is a lot of freaking tests being done and only one guy getting pinched. I have a hard time believing that this is "used throughout the locker room", the provable facts do not support that statement so as far as I am concerned at this point, that statement is bull****.
    Any unauthorized use of the intellectual property of POD Knows without the express written consent of POD Knows will be met with the swift hand of justice as determined by POD Knows

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by POD Knows View Post
    More than 18, that was just how many were tested for one game, they tested for other playoff games as well, no idea how many different people were tested but they administered over 50 tests just for the playoffs this year and I think this is the only one that came up bad and as far as I know, this is the only one that we have heard about in the playoff run. That is a lot of freaking tests being done and only one guy getting pinched. I have a hard time believing that this is "used throughout the locker room", the provable facts do not support that statement so as far as I am concerned at this point, that statement is bull****.
    That's why I'm thinking it was more along the lines of the kid taking the supps and not the school giving them to him with or without his knowledge. But perception is everything. The average person hears about a team with that much success gets busted for supplements they do the mental math that concludes with the "C" word. OF course pointing out how many other tests were given may lessen the negative viewpoint but they may also say "but they just weren't caught doing it." I get both views but being around sports so long I find it likely the kid was perp and not the school IMO.
    He who works with his hands is a laborer.
    He who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman.
    He who works with his hands and his head and his heart is an artist.
    ---St. Francis of Assissi

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by BEAR View Post
    That's why I'm thinking it was more along the lines of the kid taking the supps and not the school giving them to him with or without his knowledge. But perception is everything. The average person hears about a team with that much success gets busted for supplements they do the mental math that concludes with the "C" word. OF course pointing out how many other tests were given may lessen the negative viewpoint but they may also say "but they just weren't caught doing it." I get both views but being around sports so long I find it likely the kid was perp and not the school IMO.
    Yea, I don't know, I don't like this vague stuff being thrown around, the parents can meet with the school, advise the school that if the school doesn't come forward with the information, then the parents will. This is pretty simple stuff being made way to complicated and now all parties look guilty. It doesn't need to be this difficult.
    Any unauthorized use of the intellectual property of POD Knows without the express written consent of POD Knows will be met with the swift hand of justice as determined by POD Knows

AGS FCS Champion

Rumor is the "trusted staff member" is a hired consultant that is no longer working with NDSU. Again, that's just the rumor and we'll probably never know for sure... he is kind of a convenient scapegoat since he's no longer working with NDSU. Regardless, no tears shed from me about the fact. His shtick had worn thin with me as a fan and I've heard it had worn thin with players as well.
    Last edited by Professor Chaos; January 31st, 2019 at 12:20 PM. Reason: took out names
    Professor Chaos is a proud supporter of the 7-time NCAA Division 1 Football National Champion North Dakota State Bison.

AGS Circle of Influence Member

Quote Originally Posted by F'N Hawks View Post
    Right. Then, where are the results sent and interpreted? The company doesn't send them to the NCAA.
    In season tests done by schools are sent back to the schools - this has been in the news a ton with Clemson losing players to drug tests before the title game and saying they won't test further.

I played D3 ball, but the procedure is the same almost anywhere for testing.

Tests are "random" in season - but star players never "win" the test lottery it seems. Most schools have a code of silence for test results and handle it internally

For example the d3 played at (and have heard it's this way at many schools at ever level)

first positive test: meeting held with coaches and trainers. They ask what was taken (roid or illicit). A ton of extra conditioning and a warning that they have extra balls in the lottery from then on out. No one other than coaches and that player know.

Second positive test was an ass handing. More conditioning than could be made through. AD is made aware, depending on the substance a referral to support groups, and a small suspension (possible loss of scholarship money for a semester)

Third is gone from the team for violating team rules.

Post season tests are done by the NCAA and they have their own rules. I think a year suspension is harsh, especially because banned substances are so generic for a term. As has been mentioned, probably 80% of the stuff at GNC will pop a test. That's where a training staff needs to be kept abreast with everything taken and cleared with trainers first.

I think that's where the truth lies in this. Kid went and got it on his own (I've never heard of a school giving supplements out from the staff..I've heard of approved lists to use but never from the staff is it provided) and he asked someone on staff if it was clear. Was told it was (meaning they didn't check to be sure) and he popped on it.

Having said that, it's tough to believe the school have it to him and he was the only one that tested for it. I'd imagine more than him took it if it was from the school and more should have been popped. Same with if he got it from another player. More would be using it and showing up. Which is why I think he sought it out and was wrongly cleared to take it

After 2015s season UNI lost one of the 2 best LBs in the country for the 2016 season to a test after the Portland State game (played the next week as the appeal and b sample we're done). The NCAA will never make it known why a kid is suspended. It's up to the school for how to handle it. UNI and the kid said nothing to save face. Instead he declared for the NFL draft early.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by clenz; January 31st, 2019 at 11:36 AM.
    Playoff records of teams I follow since 1991:Twins: 6-22 (.214)
    UNI: 20-16 (.556)Vikings: 7-14 (.333)Wolves: 17-30 (.362)Wild: 25-43 (.367)
    Combined 75-125 (.375) 0 Titles
    Yet people wonder why I'm jaded about sports....

Makes you wonder why they were "formally" internal testing in the first place. To catch people or to regulate?
    Poster formerly named:
    Sioux

AGS FCS Champion

Makes you wonder why they were "formally" internal testing in the first place. To catch people or to regulate?
    Both I'd say. Losing players in the playoffs is a bad deal so regular season testing can help "train" players on what they can and can't take without losing them for games.
    Professor Chaos is a proud supporter of the 7-time NCAA Division 1 Football National Champion North Dakota State Bison.

AGS FCS Champion

JFC, probably to catch people and take corrective action so they don't get exposed in the playoffs by the NCAA. Doesn't UND do in season testing, oh wait, nevermind.

AGS Circle of Influence Member

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Both I'd say. Losing players in the playoffs is a bad deal so regular season testing can help "train" players on what they can and can't take without losing them for games.
    This.

You want to catch them before they get hit by the NCAA. Knowing who to watch more closely from a safety point as well.

It's half CYA and half teach.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Playoff records of teams I follow since 1991:Twins: 6-22 (.214)
    UNI: 20-16 (.556)Vikings: 7-14 (.333)Wolves: 17-30 (.362)Wild: 25-43 (.367)
    Combined 75-125 (.375) 0 Titles
    Yet people wonder why I'm jaded about sports....