Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Major FCS Advocate DeltaDevil662's Avatar

Re: Yale Bowl going to field-turf.....

Quote Originally Posted by lionsrking2 View Post
    USM
    You're right. It's been that way for a while now so I assumed they still had it.

Quote Originally Posted by PAllen View Post
    I hope that you mean a field bubble and not a full stadium dome.
    Yes. A field bubble.

AGS Circle of Influence Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaDevil662 View Post
    No team in the state of Mississippi (FBS, FCS, D2, D3) uses field turf. No reason why but we just don't.

We MIGHT be the first to do it but nothing at this point
    Weather.

Grass outside of the southern US starts taking a beating pretty quickly after about the second or third week of September. September and early October often have relatively significant rainfall, and it isn't a "warm rain". Typically by the middle of October it's freezing rain. The fields can't dry properly due to the tempuratues. Thus it takes almost no time to turn it into just complete farm pasture quality.

Couple that with the lack of funding available to maintain the grass field anywhere close to properly - it takes a hell of a lot of time and money to maintain a proper field once that starts to happen - and it's a mess. Hell, look at Heinz Field, whatever Washington wants to call their dump of a Stadium, and Chicago by the second half of the season. Those places have more money and resources to spend in a week to prepare a field than any college will have for at least a year to do so.

The turf in Washington is often held directly responsible for Adrian Peterson's and RG3's knee injuries

Michael Robinson took a video of the field before a game, and there are parts where the field literally didn't exist

A close up of the field from a Green Bay Packers game

Green Bay went to a new combo of turf and natural - polyethylene-based SISGrass...a process that took over 5 months to install - I'm sure it's not cheap and something that 99.9999% of colleges couldn't dream of doing

If you're school has enough money to completely rip a couple feet of earth from under your surface, install one of the largest private boiler systems in the world to heat your field the field to keep it from freezing, at least 5 months to install it, and then the money required to properly care for it (grow lights, dedicated field crew, all the machines to take care of it, etc...)...then yes...keeping the natural grass in the north is viable......but you're also not playing FCS football

That gross holds up pretty well

Compare that to the climate of Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, Florida, Texas, most of Kentucky, Sour Carolina, etc. where it looks like the average temp in December and January is between 55-60 with an average low about 40-45. Most of the northern US during that time of year has a low of about 10-15 and a high of 30-35.
    Playoff records of teams I follow since 1991:Twins: 6-22 (.214)
    UNI: 20-16 (.556)Vikings: 7-14 (.333)Wolves: 17-30 (.362)Wild: 25-43 (.367)
    Combined 75-125 (.375) 0 Titles
    Yet people wonder why I'm jaded about sports....

The Sultan of Sarcasm Grizalltheway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by clenz View Post
    Weather.

Grass outside of the southern US starts taking a beating pretty quickly after about the second or third week of September. September and early October often have relatively significant rainfall, and it isn't a "warm rain". Typically by the middle of October it's freezing rain. The fields can't dry properly due to the tempuratues. Thus it takes almost no time to turn it into just complete farm pasture quality.

Couple that with the lack of funding available to maintain the grass field anywhere close to properly - it takes a hell of a lot of time and money to maintain a proper field once that starts to happen - and it's a mess. Hell, look at Heinz Field, whatever Washington wants to call their dump of a Stadium, and Chicago by the second half of the season. Those places have more money and resources to spend in a week to prepare a field than any college will have for at least a year to do so.

The turf in Washington is often held directly responsible for Adrian Peterson's and RG3's knee injuries

Michael Robinson took a video of the field before a game, and there are parts where the field literally didn't exist

A close up of the field from a Green Bay Packers game

Green Bay went to a new combo of turf and natural - polyethylene-based SISGrass...a process that took over 5 months to install - I'm sure it's not cheap and something that 99.9999% of colleges couldn't dream of doing

If you're school has enough money to completely rip a couple feet of earth from under your surface, install one of the largest private boiler systems in the world to heat your field the field to keep it from freezing, at least 5 months to install it, and then the money required to properly care for it (grow lights, dedicated field crew, all the machines to take care of it, etc...)...then yes...keeping the natural grass in the north is viable......but you're also not playing FCS football

That gross holds up pretty well

Compare that to the climate of Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, Florida, Texas, most of Kentucky, Sour Carolina, etc. where it looks like the average temp in December and January is between 55-60 with an average low about 40-45. Most of the northern US during that time of year has a low of about 10-15 and a high of 30-35.
    Wa-Griz and the Litter Box used to be absolute mud pits by the time Cat-Griz rolled around.

AGS Circle of Influence Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grizalltheway View Post
    Wa-Griz and the Litter Box used to be absolute mud pits by the time Cat-Griz rolled around.
    I can imagine. The potential temp and precip swings through the mountains had to play hell on the field.

I'm a big fan of grass fields. A well maintained grass surface is just another level in terms of looks, safety, and playing on. I don't care for the SEC but I'll watch SEC games on CBS because I enjoy watching games played on surfaces that are that well maintained.
    Playoff records of teams I follow since 1991:Twins: 6-22 (.214)
    UNI: 20-16 (.556)Vikings: 7-14 (.333)Wolves: 17-30 (.362)Wild: 25-43 (.367)
    Combined 75-125 (.375) 0 Titles
    Yet people wonder why I'm jaded about sports....

Although our play on it hasn't been optimal lately, the grounds crew/field maintainence guys have done a great job with the tuef at Fitton the last few years. It's really held up throughout an entire season's play the last few years....I remembah it being beat to hell by season's end in the 1970s and 1980s.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails KCARKGTAKSEPJZT.20151103195005.jpg  

On the Breast of Old South Mountain

I remember one hell of a mud game at Fitton about 10-15 years ago when the field was coming up in chunks. Our QB, Kevin Keating was virtually shot putting his passes. A few years later we had a similar deluge at Goodman that basically was the death knell of that grass field, which was uneven and poorly drained to begin with. The new sod field installed in around 2008 is tremendous. Drains very well and has underground irrigation system. It has held up very well in several rain games, and if major precip expected, they cover it pregame. I understand cost concerns, especially for schools with limited space for multiple sports. Lehigh is lucky to have so much land so as to be able to have grass field and still have artificial turf fields for practice and other field sports as well. "If a horse can't eat it, I don't want to play on it."--Richie "call me Dick" Allen, Philadelphia Phillies.
    LEHIGH WILL SHINE TONIGHT, LEHIGH WILL SHINE!
    Patriot League Champions: 1993, 1995, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2010, 2011, 2016, 2017
    NCAA Playoff Appearances: D-II 1973, 1975, 1977 NCAA Champions
    D-IAA 1979 (Finalist), 1980, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2016, 2017

Engineer,

Yes - that was probably 2002 or 2003...there was a hurricane/northeaster. It was ugly...Kyle got the job done though. If memory serves, a picture of one of our players was the inside lead picture in SI that week. We knew it was going to be miserable, so I splurged on LL Bean duck boots that week to wear. I stayed dry... I still have those boots to this day!
    “If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.”

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Engineer,

Yes - that was probably 2002 or 2003...there was a hurricane/northeaster. It was ugly...Kyle got the job done though. If memory serves, a picture of one of our players was the inside lead picture in SI that week. We knew it was going to be miserable, so I splurged on LL Bean duck boots that week to wear. I stayed dry... I still have those boots to this day!
    2006 (Coen's first year) was played in a steady rain up there too. Marques Thompson had a huge game in the slop. It was nothing like the 2005 game at Goodman but still nasty.
    Temple Alum By Choice, Lehigh Sports Fan By Blood

2006 was the Albany game. Didn't actually rain much during the game, the hurricane went thru the night before and early morning.

"I don't know about artificial grass, I never smoked any." - Bill "Spaceman" Lee, Red Sox lefthander.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - B. Franklin