A total of 28 players from our 2018 roster won't be on this year's roster due to graduation, transfer and grades. This seems to be a lot more than previous years. Our 2019 recruiting appears on paper to be solid. A lot of that is probably from a possibility of "play right away" chance for recent commits.

Moscow Daily News story concerning this matter:

Idaho football starters Ty Graham (linebacker) and Denzal Brantley (safety) are two of 28 players from the Vandals’ 2018 roster to not be included with the spring 2019 personnel.

“I made the decision to be closer with my family and to transfer to (Eastern Washington),” Cheney High product Graham posted on Twitter on Friday. “I can’t thank U of I enough for everything they have done for me. I will forever be grateful for the last 3 years spent as a Vandal.”

Graham, the son of former Eagles defensive coordinator John Graham, had 133 career tackles for UI, including a team-high 12 for the Vandals in their 38-14 loss at EWU in October.

The elder Graham coached at UI during 2018 spring football, but left in June, citing personal reasons.
Per the school, Brantley left without declaring transfer. Brantley and Graham each had 71 total tackles in UI’s 2018 campaign, tying for second on the team. Brantley recorded one interception during the Vandals’ return to the Big Sky Conference, where they went 4-7.

Other notables absent from the 2019 roster include Tyrese Walker and Aarron Boatright.
Walker — along with quarterback Dylan Lemle, who was suspended in 2018 for academic issues — has been removed from the school due to academics, and cannot return. Boatright, who started four games on the defensive line, is reportedly on an academic suspension, and will have a chance to return to the team.
Tight end Joseph Wysocki was noted as a probable transfer and freshman tight end Harrison Ashby announced his transfer to Pearl River Community College (Miss.) over Twitter.

The list of those absent from the 2019 roster includes nine juniors, two sophomores and 17 freshmen. These four juniors decided to retire early: receivers Josh Ellingson and Micah Hamilton, linebacker Aaron Pue and punter Zach Charme.

NOTE — UI officials reported that somewhere between five to eight scholarship players leave the school each year for various reasons. The Vandals had their largest class of walk-ons under coach Paul Petrino in 2018. UI has signed 15 during the early signing period, a class that’s ranked No. 2 in the FCS outside of the Ivy League (247Sports).... Inside linebackers coach Adam Breske has taken over special teams coordinator duties and Steve Oliver, the former director of football operations, will coach tight ends.